Load calc on a complex property

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toros

Hi
i have 6 new constr homes town house style in one lot
one service required
Should I calculate each total load for each home considering demand ...... than
add them up to determine service. Size or pull box, bus. Size???

thank you

suemarkp

Occupation
Retired Engineer
Is this one building with 6 sections to it? If so, then do a multifamily dwelling type calculation per 220.84. You don't do one unit x6, as that will be too large. You get to apply a demand factor because of the size separate units. But make sure the units meet all the requirements of that calculation (electric cooking equipment and electric heating or AC in each unit).

Or, you could do the standard calculation and just treat it as one giant building with 6 water heaters, 6 furnaces, 12 kitchen small appliance circuits, ... You'll definitely have more than 4 fastened-in-place appliances so that will help and you may reach some of the high VA limits where another demand factor kicks in.

Toros

Is this one building with 6 sections to it? If so, then do a multifamily dwelling type calculation per 220.84. You don't do one unit x6, as that will be too large. You get to apply a demand factor because of the size separate units. But make sure the units meet all the requirements of that calculation (electric cooking equipment and electric heating or AC in each unit).

Or, you could do the standard calculation and just treat it as one giant building with 6 water heaters, 6 furnaces, 12 kitchen small appliance circuits, ... You'll definitely have more than 4 fastened-in-place appliances so that will help and you may reach some of the high VA limits where another demand factor kicks in.

This is a lot that has 6 detached houses
can I still use the standard calc??

suemarkp

Occupation
Retired Engineer
You can always use the standard calc but you may not like the result. How can you only have one service to 6 separate dwellings, or is there just one person paying the bill for all 6 houses? Usually the service delivery point is at each building, either overhead or at the meterbase.

If this one "service" does in fact serve all 6 separate houses, then I believe you can just treat the sum of everything in all the buildings as what is connected (sum of square footages, sum of appliances in all buildings, etc). I don't believe you get any benefitting factors for having multiple buildings though as you would in a multifamily building.

Taking the calculation of one building and multiplying by 6 will probably we the largest (worst case) number. Treating all 6 as one large building should provide a smaller number and be legal. But the power company would be able to take a lot more liberties with the size of the wires to each building.

Are you then running a feeder to each building?

Status
Not open for further replies.