CD disc location

Status
Not open for further replies.
NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
We have installed several CD sirens over the years. All the Service disconnects and control are mounted at least 8' above ground level as per installation instructions. We do not want the average idiot child pulling the handle down just because he can.

We have not had a problem with inspections but where in the NEC is this an exception to the 6'7" rule of 404.8 (A), or 230.70 (A)(1) Readily Accessible Location? 110.3 (A)(8)?

kwired

Electron manager
I have to agree there is no exception.

I have not done any such installations, but have seen them done that way, both older and newer installations.

jumper

Would this apply? Just a WAG.

230.76 Manually or Power Operable. The service disconnecting
means for ungrounded service conductors shall
consist of one of the following:
(1) A manually operable switch or circuit breaker equipped
with a handle or other suitable operating means

404.8 Accessibility and Grouping.
Exception No. 3: Hookstick operable isolating switches
shall be permitted at greater heights.

Last edited:

kwired

Electron manager
I asked my State Inspector this morning. His answer "Because you are special, Tom." Being a SA is not limited to ECs. He is working and I am busy so details may wait for another day.
I could see a couple of the inspectors I have worked with saying about the same thing in same situation. I still say strict interpretation of NEC would suggest that you need to put it lower and provide a lock if you don't want people tampering with it. Since it is something for public safety that kind of gets their minds thinking about other things and allowing such exceptions. Put same disconnect up high for non public safety equipment and the blinders come off.:happyyes:

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
Would this apply? Just a WAG.

230.76 Manually or Power Operable. The service disconnecting
means for ungrounded service conductors shall
consist of one of the following:
(1) A manually operable switch or circuit breaker equipped
with a handle or other suitable operating means

404.8 Accessibility and Grouping.
Exception No. 3: Hookstick operable isolating switches
shall be permitted at greater heights

He did mention this as part of the reasoning although it does not quite fit the situation.

kwired

Electron manager
He did mention this as part of the reasoning although it does not quite fit the situation.
I agree it does not fit the situation, that section is for switches used as switches, you have a switch used as a disconnecting means.

But at same time a disconnecting means at the top of the pole kind of is acceptable though it is not readily accessible. Should that siren be more then 50 feet above the disconnect I kind of don't see how you can call it a disconnecting means. If it is also the service disconnecting means - I see no way around allowing higher elevations for the service disconnect.

Besoeker

We have installed several CD sirens over the years. All the Service disconnects and control are mounted at least 8' above ground level as per installation instructions. We do not want the average idiot child pulling the handle down just because he can.
I read that thread title completely incorrectly....CD as in compact disc.

So excuse the ignorant Brit, but what is a CD siren?

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Civil Defense.
As in emergency warning over a wide area.
More likely these days to be used for tornado or chemical spill warning than approaching bombers or missiles.
Like the air raid sirens we see in London WW II scenes.

Status
Not open for further replies.