Westinghouse breaker help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arkansas74

I'm am needing to install a westinghouse breaker 600amp hld3600 for 480v I have a hld3600f out of a soft start but it says 600 to 250 vdc. I started looking on line some say 600vac to 250vdc some just say 600vac. Can I use the one I have for the 480vac?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 0

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
I'm am needing to install a westinghouse breaker 600amp hld3600 for 480v I have a hld3600f out of a soft start but it says 600 to 250 vdc. I started looking on line some say 600vac to 250vdc some just say 600vac. Can I use the one I have for the 480vac?

If those are standard thermal magnetic breakers then yes, those will work I see cutler Hammer/Eaton breakers all the time rated at 600vac but on 480 and 208 volts.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
HLD3600F breakdown

H = High interrupt capacity, in this case 65kAIC at 480V, as opposed to I think 35kAIC if there was no H
LD = 600A maximum frame size
3 = 3 pole
600 = maximum amp rating of the unit within that frame size (can be less than the frame size, but never more, in this case the same)
F = (Frame only), which means it was originally bought with NO trip unit, probably because the soft starter mfr needed something other than standard, or they were buying frames only, then swapping out trip units based on the size of the soft starter.

The point of this was that you will need to look VERY CAREFULLY at what you have and see what the TRIP UNIT says on it! If the F were not there, it would be a 600A Thermal-Mag trip unit, but the presence of the F at the end means we don't know what is on there. If it is a 600A Thermal Magnetic trip unit, it should say LT3600T on it. If not, check with Eaton / Cutler Hammer to see what it is (the numbering has not changed).

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Although it may seem that way at first glance, it does not say 600V AC to 250V DC. It says that the maximum AC it can break and withstand is 600V and the maximum DC is only 250V.
The usual reason for this is that it is more difficult to quench a DC arc because the current does not go through zero 120 times per second.

kwired

Electron manager
600VAC and 250VDC are fairly common values in most other brands of breakers as well, can't think of any that were different off the top of my head (if the AC value was 600 anyway).

Status
Not open for further replies.