Number of bends in conduit run

Status
Not open for further replies.

elecmen

Occupation
Electrician
Hi, I know that there is not supposed to be more than four quarter bends in a run of conduit. If I use 4 90's in a run then go to an LB and continue to another LB would this be considered a single run and code compliant?

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Hi, I know that there is not supposed to be more than four quarter bends in a run of conduit. If I use 4 90's in a run then go to an LB and continue to another LB would this be considered a single run and code compliant?

If the LB is properly sized and oriented to allow it to be used as a pull point, it definitely resets the bend count. Whether you would have to actually use it as such during pulling depends on a lot of other things, but you might at least have to put in a temporary pulley/sheave at the open LB.
There is a thread which goes into great detail about what can happen when an LB is present but the wire is pulled straight through it. The results were not good and not inexpensive to correct.

electricalist

After replacing a blown fuse , it blew, visually inspecting the 250' to 1st j box, the megging it still no luck we got the lift to the side of the bldg about the disconnect where the lb entered bldg. The whole insude corner was blown out and half the 500 mcm was missing. Dangerous stuff

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
After replacing a blown fuse , it blew, visually inspecting the 250' to 1st j box, the megging it still no luck we got the lift to the side of the bldg about the disconnect where the lb entered bldg. The whole insude corner was blown out and half the 500 mcm was missing. Dangerous stuff

Don't blame the LB :)
most likely it was then wrong LB for the job.
Look at 314.28 and this cut-sheet:
http://www.cooperindustries.com/con...roducts/catalog-pdfs/mogul-pulling-elbows.pdf

jumper

As Goldy said-yes, a LB or other such fitting would be a pull point and reset the bend count.

This section is for EMT and states the rule that would also be found in others articles for conduit:

358.26 Bends ? Number in One Run. There shall not be
more than the equivalent of four quarter bends (360 degrees
total) between pull points, for example, conduit bodies and
boxes.

elecmen

Occupation
Electrician
As Goldy said-yes, a LB or other such fitting would be a pull point and reset the bend count.

This section is for EMT and states the rule that would also be found in others articles for conduit:

Thanks to all that replied. That's what I thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.