Running power in an existing slab 3 ft to a new kitchen island.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bantamben

What is your preferred wiring method to run power out of a wall through a slab to a kitchen island. I'm helping out a buddy and I have very little residential experience. All mine is commercial/industrial. Curious what is the best way to run this circuit to the island, code compliant of course. I was thinking of cutting slab just deep enough to put in a 3/4 or 1/2 PVC and run it through the slab from wall and up into island. Is there a depth requirement for the PVC in the slab? Can I just pull Romex through it or use if cable, and just use PVC as a chase?
Thanks

How would you do it with your current electrical skills? Remember, the inside of a conduit in the ground is considered a wet location.

What is your preferred wiring method to run power out of a wall through a slab to a kitchen island. I'm helping out a buddy and I have very little residential experience. All mine is commercial/industrial. Curious what is the best way to run this circuit to the island, code compliant of course. I was thinking of cutting slab just deep enough to put in a 3/4 or 1/2 PVC and run it through the slab from wall and up into island. Is there a depth requirement for the PVC in the slab? Can I just pull Romex through it or use if cable, and just use PVC as a chase?
Thanks

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
What is your preferred wiring method to run power out of a wall through a slab to a kitchen island. I'm helping out a buddy and I have very little residential experience. All mine is commercial/industrial. Curious what is the best way to run this circuit to the island, code compliant of course. I was thinking of cutting slab just deep enough to put in a 3/4 or 1/2 PVC and run it through the slab from wall and up into island.
That is what I would do. I would use 3/4. 1/2" PVC is next to useless.
Is there a depth requirement for the PVC in the slab?
Inside a building 0"
Can I just pull Romex through it or use if cable, and just use PVC as a chase?
Thanks
Uggg! No you can't. Well, by code you can use UF, but I wouldn't. I would encourage you to use your commercial skills...pvc conduit in the slab between j-boxes and pull in thhn.

Bantamben

Yeah thanks was just just thinking to make it easy but I guess I can just put a Fa to flex on each end and run it to its respective spot. Just was worried about space considerations as usually I've ran mc or non cable in cabinets as there usually pretty tight clearance with drawers etc.. on the island just though I could keep it as a chase and run the uf cable straight into existing receptacle on wall side and into recep on island.

480sparky

The NEC doesn't differentiate between resi and comm under-slab raceway runs. Your would run it in this existing house for a kitchen island just like you would run it in an existing school to a lab station or hospital to a nurses station.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
So two questions
to doublecheck by code can I just saw it concrete deep enough to cover conduit?
and can I use it as a sleeve for uf cable.

Note:
2. Raceways approved for burial only where concrete encased shall require concrete envelope not less than
50 mm (2 in.) thick.

Table 300.5 Minimum Cover Requirements, 0 to 600 Volts, Nominal, Burial in Millimeters (Inches)

And:

3. Lesser depths shall be permitted where cables and conductors rise for terminations or splices or where
access is otherwise required.

Nom Deplume

Wouldn't the cable inside of a kitchen cabinet be considered susceptible to physical damage?
You should change over the PVC to flex to your outlet box.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Wouldn't the cable inside of a kitchen cabinet be considered susceptible to physical damage?
You should change over the PVC to flex to your outlet box.
Inside a cabinet base with doors and no chase around the cable, maybe.
Inside a cabinet base behind drawers with reasonable clearance and fastened to the structure, probably not.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
We do this all the time. Run UF and sleeve it thru the cabinet if it is exposed. We run thru the toe space and up in the back corner and sleeve it in carflex. Some of the finer cabinets are built with a dead space to run the wires

iwire

Staff member
Under building would mean under slab, Yes?

Yes, I guess.

However the OP is asking about running pipes in a slab which is not underground so none of 300.5 applies.

Consider this, how would we run pipes in slabs on upper floors if this was not the case?

Status
Not open for further replies.