Lamp with with USB charging outlet

Status
Not open for further replies.

forabit

Inspector says that this does not comply:..... "Added electrical outlets means any adapter used to make more outlets available than the room has as part of it?s construction or effectively move them to a new location. The only way to do this is to use a power strip (professionally made and UL approved) that has a built in circuit breaker. Our requirement meets the requirements of Section 605.5 of the Oregon Fire Code and the National Fire Protection Association Pamphlet 70"

Thoughts?

MasterTheNEC

CEO and President of Electrical Code Academy, Inc.
Occupation
CEO
ummm.....color me crazy but I am also lost in the question.

Are you talking about, can a USB Port be on a luminaire?....i'm confused at the question (mind you I don't want to be..but I am)

MasterTheNEC

CEO and President of Electrical Code Academy, Inc.
Occupation
CEO
He doesn't want to allow our students to have lamps etc with USB charging outlets in them. He says that is an extension cord
If you have a luminaire that actually has to be listed [410.6] and actually is listed then chances are it is ok. Not that I have ever seen one but I have see receptacle devices with USB ports in them and they are listed and compliant. And I hardly think a USB Cord would be considered an extension cord...at least not in accordance with UL 817 I am sure.

"Our requirement meets the requirements of Section 605.5 of the Oregon Fire Code and the National Fire Protection Association Pamphlet 70"

Is their requirement arguably necessary to meet the requirements of section 605.5 of the Oregon Fire Code?
605.5 Extension cords. Extension cords and flexible cords shall not be a substitute for permanent wiring. Extension cords and flexible cords shall not be affixed to structures, extended through walls, ceilings or floors, or under doors or floor coverings, nor shall such cords be subject to environmental damage or physical impact. Extension cords shall be used only with portable appliances.
605.5.1 Power supply. Extension cords shall be plugged directly into an approved receptacle, power tap or multi-plug adapter and, except for approved multiplug extension cords, shall serve only one portable appliance.
605.5.2 Ampacity. The ampacity of the extension cords shall not be less than the rated capacity of the portable appliance supplied by the cord.
605.5.3 Maintenance. Extension cords shall be maintained in good condition without splices, deterioration or damage.
605.5.4 Grounding. Extension cords shall be grounded when serving grounded portable appliances

(That might not be the latest version of that Code.)

Of course, the inspector didn't use the word "necessary", so his requirement does indeed meet those requirements (it doesn't violate them), as would a requirement that students wear mittens at all times.

From where do we get the insistence on power strips with circuit breakers?

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA 21 Hours from Winged Horses wi
Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Engineer
Ah, the Safety police...

So what if a student plugs in a USB charger with TWO usb outlets? These usb chargers never have circuit breakers.

What does the inspector say about a computer, with several usb outlets? I've never seen a laptop with a circuit breaker.

Is the lamp UL listed? If so, I do not think he has a right to not allow it. OK, he probably has a right to say anything and make it stick, but it is wrong.

I'm sure all those 5 volt at 500 mA USB outlets are going to cause overloaded circuits.:lol:

I would use the computer argument. Lots of USB outlets on desktop units.

Now, If the lamp also has a 120 V receptacle on it for something else, then it could be a power strip, so it would need a circuit breaker to be compliant to him/her. I see these in hotel rooms all the time (no circuit breaker, though). Their fire insurance company seems fine with them.

Also I would check with the Oregon code to see if 5 volt 500 mA outlets actually fall under their definition of "electrical outlet".

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

forabit

Ah, the Safety police...

So what if a student plugs in a USB charger with TWO usb outlets? These usb chargers never have circuit breakers.

What does the inspector say about a computer, with several usb outlets? I've never seen a laptop with a circuit breaker.

Is the lamp UL listed? If so, I do not think he has a right to not allow it. OK, he probably has a right to say anything and make it stick, but it is wrong.

I'm sure all those 5 volt at 500 mA USB outlets are going to cause overloaded circuits.:lol:

I would use the computer argument. Lots of USB outlets on desktop units.

Now, If the lamp also has a 120 V receptacle on it for something else, then it could be a power strip, so it would need a circuit breaker to be compliant to him/her. I see these in hotel rooms all the time (no circuit breaker, though). Their fire insurance company seems fine with them.

Also I would check with the Oregon code to see if 5 volt 500 mA outlets actually fall under their definition of "electrical outlet".

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA
I like the "Computer" argument

kwired

Electron manager
Inspector says that this does not comply:..... "Added electrical outlets means any adapter used to make more outlets available than the room has as part of it?s construction or effectively move them to a new location. The only way to do this is to use a power strip (professionally made and UL approved) that has a built in circuit breaker. Our requirement meets the requirements of Section 605.5 of the Oregon Fire Code and the National Fire Protection Association Pamphlet 70"

Thoughts?
The lamp could have a refrigerator attached to it, but if it is a listed appliance and is used per the listing, he doesn't have anything to reject there.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems

Thoughts?

Lamps with USB charging ports and AC outlets on the base are very common in hotel rooms.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I have one of these type of lamps on my nightstand, although I have to confess, I didn't see the USB outlet for the first year! (it's black, the outlet is on the side facing away from my bed, etc.).

This is becoming a very common feature now on LED based table lamps, because basically, the power supply for the LEDs is the same type of Class 2 power supply one would have for a USB type charger anyway, and the power available from the USB side is severely limited. In fact when I plug my iPhone into it, it's fine, but if I plug in my iPad, I get a message saying that the device I'm plugged into is capable of off-line charging only.

So bottom line, your AHJ is a nincompoop because he is equating a USB port as being an "outlet", it is nothing of the sort. It would be like saying the headphone jack of your radio is an "outlet" too.

kwired

Electron manager
I have one of these type of lamps on my nightstand, although I have to confess, I didn't see the USB outlet for the first year! (it's black, the outlet is on the side facing away from my bed, etc.).

This is becoming a very common feature now on LED based table lamps, because basically, the power supply for the LEDs is the same type of Class 2 power supply one would have for a USB type charger anyway, and the power available from the USB side is severely limited. In fact when I plug my iPhone into it, it's fine, but if I plug in my iPad, I get a message saying that the device I'm plugged into is capable of off-line charging only.

So bottom line, your AHJ is a nincompoop because he is equating a USB port as being an "outlet", it is nothing of the sort. It would be like saying the headphone jack of your radio is an "outlet" too.

There was a thread a while back (maybe been a year or more by now) about whether or not a 15/20 amp 125 volt receptacle with a USB port integrated into it was permissible on small appliance branch circuits and/or if the USB port was an "outlet" by NEC definition making it subject to other possible limitations depending on where it is installed.

Status
Not open for further replies.