Copper Wire Found

Status
Not open for further replies.

wirenood

photo 2.jpg photo 1.jpg Hi everyone, I found a huge bucket of copper wire in my garage and was wondering if any of you have an idea of what it's worth. I am looking for as much expert advice as possible. Someone told me several thousand dollars. Thanks :thumbsup:

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 0

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Take to a junk yard. There is no way to know without weight and everyday the price changes. There may be an exchange rate online. Strip it and its worth more

growler

Hi everyone, I found a huge bucket of copper wire in my garage and was wondering if any of you have an idea of what it's worth. I am looking for as much expert advice as possible. Someone told me several thousand dollars. Thanks :thumbsup:

Several thousand dollars? I doubt that.

But it could be worth over a $100 and that's not bad.

If someone thinks it could be worth thousands maybe you could make them a deal on it ( say $500).

JES2727

$2.75 per pound for bare bright copper at Dr. Copper in Howell NJ yesterday. Looks like you've got about 100 pounds in that barrel. Still not enough for a bottle of Johnnie Walker Blue.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
$2.75 per pound for bare bright copper at Dr. Copper in Howell NJ yesterday. Looks like you've got about 100 pounds in that barrel. Still not enough for a bottle of Johnnie Walker Blue.
If a bottle of Johnny Walker Blue costs more than $275, I'll drink me some Tullamore Dew instead.

69gp

my question is how do you just find a bucket of copper in your garage? I have found bugs, frogs, birds and even a skunk, but i never just found a bucket of wire.

James L

Occupation
Electrician
my question is how do you just find a bucket of copper in your garage? I have found bugs, frogs, birds and even a skunk, but i never just found a bucket of wire.

Maybe I should go check my garage, too.

I'd say that bucket might have 120-130 pounds Around K.C. it about $3.25 for bare bright. And the want to see ID and a license plate number. Too many morons our stealing copper nowadays

electricalist

Its about 2.50 stripped, here. They want id proof of residence like a bill and they mail you a check. Im on the bottom when it comes to good scrap wire, so for the guys in my shoes. Drill a hole in a board same size as wire feed through hole then run a screw virticle down till it just sticks in the wire. Then pull wire through. The screw will cut the outer all the way through then peel and sell. .

kwired

Electron manager
I hope you have a clean "record".

My mother in law was fingerprinted for the first time in her 80 some years when she took a small can of it in. Left overs from my father in laws hobbies over the years.

I don't think they do anything with your print other then have it on their files as evidence of who represented a particular purchase transaction via their print. I doubt they are tied into any police records and are able to do do any on demand search of your print for the purpose of rejecting your scrap items.

What would they do if you had both hands as prosthetic? take a toe print?:cool:

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
$250 here
No booze is worth that much to me.

There's a hotel bar here in town that I used to frequent, and way up on a shelf behind the bar there was a very ornate bottle. When I asked about it he told me that it was some very rare old cognac that was $250 a shot. A shot.

He also told me about a well-to-do CEO type who came in one night with a few of his underlings and ordered a round of that stuff without telling them what it was. One of the underlings, trying to impress the boss, ordered two more rounds on his tab. When the guy got the $2000 tab he nearly passed out, but his boss, after enjoying the spectacle of his minion teetering on the verge of apoplexy for a couple of minutes, bailed the poor bastard out.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.