100 amp power cord

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knightryder12

Occupation
Sr. Electrical Designer/Project Manager
Hey guys, I have a quick question about what size and type portable power cord I will need to feed an 80amp rack mounted power supply. The power supply is 120/208V, 3p, 5 wire and has a 80 amp rated breaker built-in. I am feeding the power supply from a 100amp Hubbell circuit-lock pin & sleeve receptacle. The circuit-lock pin & sleeve is being fed from a 100 amp, 3 pole breaker from the panel. All help will be greatly appreciated, never fed anything larger then a 60a pin & sleeve before and not sure how to size this.
I have done some research and I can't seem to find anything other then welding type cable that is rated for 80 amps and larger and was wondering if this type of cable would be OK to terminate on the pin & sleeve receptacle?

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
Hey guys, I have a quick question about what size and type portable power cord I will need to feed an 80amp rack mounted power supply. The power supply is 120/208V, 3p, 5 wire and has a 80 amp rated breaker built-in. I am feeding the power supply from a 100amp Hubbell circuit-lock pin & sleeve receptacle. The circuit-lock pin & sleeve is being fed from a 100 amp, 3 pole breaker from the panel. All help will be greatly appreciated, never fed anything larger then a 60a pin & sleeve before and not sure how to size this.
I have done some research and I can't seem to find anything other then welding type cable that is rated for 80 amps and larger and was wondering if this type of cable would be OK to terminate on the pin & sleeve receptacle?

the paperwork with the plug and receptacle should list the range of wire sizes you can use on them.
Article 400 and the tables should help you pick out the cord you need.

AdrianWint

You shouldn't be using welding cable - it doesn't have the required voltage withstand rating and is only single insulated.

If I were doing this here in the UK I would use 35mm2 (2 AWG?) 5 core H07RN-F TRS rubber cable.

GeorgeB

ElectroHydraulics engineer (retired)
Occupation
Retired
Southwire type W is available up to 4/0 with 5 conductors (cores for Adrien<g>) It is 2kV cable, and won't be inexpensive. The #2AWG looks correct.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
As noted above, there are variables depending on the type cord, termination temp. ratings, and number of current carrying conductors.. take a look at Table 400.5(B).

Status
Not open for further replies.