Branch ciir

Status
Not open for further replies.

jkrauss

I am on a job where the job spec req that home runs be sized up ,runs over 100 ft have to be #10 conductor, the rest of the circuit will be #12mc cable feeding recp loads .The breaker protecting the cir will be a 20 amp . My concern is that someone could install a 30 amp o,c,d device not knowing that #12 conductor are part of the branch cir.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
Some one could install a 40A on a 12 AWG. You can not control what someone can do in the future.

You can hang a tag on the conductor "max OCP 20A"

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
It would not be something that would cause me a second of worry. Anybody can do anything and do it wrong once the original install is inspected.

Is somebody going to come in later and install 30A single pole breakers on the branch circuits?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
It's very common to use larger conductors on long branch circuits. Anyone that opens a panel and sees a bunch of #10's on 20 amp CB's should know exactly what they're looking at, if they don't then you might bigger problems. I wouldn't worry for one second about what the next guy might do.

cadpoint

I am on a job where the job spec req that home runs be sized up ,runs over 100 ft have to be #10 conductor, the rest of the circuit will be #12mc cable feeding recp loads.

This is a job spec, it is not that unusual in new and rehab. construction. It's called out all the time locally around here. It will be SOP for this building, and the owner and or maintenance department will not only
know about it but will uphold this desired aspect.

You need to do this for spec., and inspected for both the spec's. and the electrical inspection once done, your done.

Anyone following this phase of construction, altering, changing or dealing with the circuits will or should hear it like a drum beat. Besides most will figure it out very quickly!
It'll be under their license and nothing having to do with what you have done.

iwire

Staff member
My concern is that someone could install a 30 amp o,c,d device not knowing that #12 conductor are part of the branch cir.

Anyone that would raise the level of overcurrent protection of a circuit without knowing how the circuit is wired or what it supplies is not professional and you cannot protect anyone from this type of person.

Rick Christopherson

Anyone that would raise the level of overcurrent protection of a circuit without knowing how the circuit is wired or what it supplies is not professional and you cannot protect anyone from this type of person.
Ya mean it's not OK to put 15- and 20-amp receptacles on 30-amp circuits? :slaphead:

sarcasmalert.gif

mike1061

Well, what about someone replacing the panel or upgrading the service?
What I typicaly do is size the breaker to the size of the wire. Though that is usually for 15 & 20 amp breakers. I wouldn't use a 30 amp breaker for a 120 volt circuit in a residential panel.
Thanks
Mike

Smart $

Esteemed Member
What I typicaly do is size the breaker to the size of the wire. Though that is usually for 15 & 20 amp breakers. I wouldn't use a 30 amp breaker for a 120 volt circuit in a residential panel.
Thanks
Mike
Reconsider your method.

In panel changes, you should never upsize the breaker rating on a circuit unless you have done a comprehensive circuit analysis. In most cases, you will likely not be getting paid to do that... so tag the circuit wires with existing info and reconnect appropriately.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Reconsider your method.

In panel changes, you should never upsize the breaker rating on a circuit unless you have done a comprehensive circuit analysis. In most cases, you will likely not be getting paid to do that... so tag the circuit wires with existing info and reconnect appropriately.

I agree completely, just ripping out the exist panel and then matching wire sizes up with the new breakers is not a good practice. We always tag any conductor that is not size matched (#14, #12, #10) on a standard 15, 20. 30 amp OCPD during the demo of the old panel.

iwire

Staff member
Thanks
Mike

As the others have stated that is not the way to go at anytime.

The only way you could do that is check out the entire circuit first to find out what size conductors and equipment it supplies.

MasterTheNEC

CEO and President of Electrical Code Academy, Inc.
Occupation
CEO
Reminds me of a saying....from Ron White " You Can't Fix Stupid"

MasterTheNEC

CEO and President of Electrical Code Academy, Inc.
Occupation
CEO
Thanks guys. Just when you think you know it all, this forum sets you straight.
Thanks
Mike

However, as a courteous contractor you could place a label or notice on the inside cover stating the information briefly if it helps others sleep at night....because the problem is some people DO do work in those panels that are not qualified to be there and since we can't control it....you can possibly help prevent it...as long as they can read....:jawdrop:

Sounds like a great proposal in the NEC that anytime a ungrounded conductor is increased in size [much like 250.122(B) for EGC's] that it should be marked as such....Hey....other things get in the NEC...I'm just sayin...:thumbsup:

But like the others.....gets done all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.