lutron home line arc fault problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

ack

so i have installed3 lutron homeline lighting panels that are fed with 80amp breakers and they come with 10- QO120CAFI breakers on them. so when i turn the 80 amp breaker on some of the QO120CAFI trip for no aparent reason.then i reset the 20 amps and they work just fine intil i turn the 80 amp off and on again.the biggest load that i have pulls 5-6 amps max.i checked every single light ,splice,staple.any ideas ?

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
so i have installed3 lutron homeline lighting panels that are fed with 80amp breakers and they come with 10- QO120CAFI breakers on them.
Never heard of such a thing. Are you saying that Lutron and SQD have joined forces and are selling a plug and play unit?
so when i turn the 80 amp breaker on some of the QO120CAFI trip for no aparent reason.then i reset the 20 amps and they work just fine intil i turn the 80 amp off and on again.the biggest load that i have pulls 5-6 amps max.i checked every single light ,splice,staple.any ideas ?
Reminds me of the old joke
Doctor it hurts when I do this,,,, Well then don't do that.

No clue what is wrong. AFCI's are funny animals. The good news we are all going to live longer lives now that they are mandatory on nearly every circuit in the house.

electricalist

Never heardof that in a lutron panel. I'd like to see a pic if you get a chance.
I be fed Luton panels with afci breakers and they tripped from the usual problems.
You have a 80 amp main in the lutron panel as well as breakers . Square D or Home line?

ack

Never heardof that in a lutron panel. I'd like to see a pic if you get a chance.
I be fed Luton panels with afci breakers and they tripped from the usual problems.
You have a 80 amp main in the lutron panel as well as breakers . Square D or Home line?
no the 80 amp is in a subpanel, and yes the lutrons come with 10 square d arc fault breakers on them

electricalist

I went to the web site briefly and saw some info on recomended and non recommend afci loads. Dimming loads 1000 watts and up are problems.
My in law works on lutron panels daily. Ill ask if he might know.

electricalist

I think id try turning all the afci breakers but and if the 80 resets then try with 2 amd so forth til it trips then isolate the problem by asking was it the last load that tripped , amps , etc.

ack

The problem is that it doesn't trip every time. Such a pain. I am suspecting the Iris recessed lights are not tested on arc fault in the factory. Probably I'll get rid of the breakers after inspection

Status
Not open for further replies.