concrete encased electrode

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob White

I'm a home inspector located in southern Texas and have listened to the pro's and con's of using the concrete encased electrode as a means of providing ground to a home. My question is not on the controversy of it but requirements.

1) If a concrete encased electrode is used, does that mean a separate 8 foot ground rod is not required?
2) If a concrete encased electrode is used and the builder removes the vapor barrier from under that 20 foot section of the footing, is that sufficient or is having any vapor barrier under the concrete negate the use of a concrete encased electrode?

Appreciate any and all feedback
Thank you

iwire

Staff member
1) If a concrete encased electrode is used, does that mean a separate 8 foot ground rod is not required?

That is correct, if there is a 'CEE' no other electrodes are required to be installed. However if other electrodes already exist they must be used. (Metal water line etc.)

2) If a concrete encased electrode is used and the builder removes the vapor barrier from under that 20 foot section of the footing, is that sufficient or is having any vapor barrier under the concrete negate the use of a concrete encased electrode?

That will be up the local AHJ, the NEC does not get that detailed about it.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
If there is a rebar available during new construction or remodel concrete pour then my interpretation is you have to use it as an electrode.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
If there is a rebar available during new construction or remodel concrete pour then my interpretation is you have to use it as an electrode.
Vapor barrier under the footing means that it does not qualifie as a CCE, i.e it's not the rebar that makes a CCE, it's not the concrete that makes a CCE, it's the rebar and the concrete and the earth that make a CCE.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
But if there is a continuous section of rebar at least 20 feet long and the concrete under that part of the footing does not have a plastic membrane, it should not matter whether the main part of the slab is insulated or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.