Induction cook top

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greg1707

Occupation
Business owner Electrical contractor
What are your opinions on induction cook tops? Not as an electrician but as a consumer? Would you install one in your house?

jumper

I am a gas man myself, but they seem nice.

I have heard, but not confirmed, that in the newer models you can replace the individual elements.
I mention this because I when first looked at them the idea of having to replace a whole top if only one burner was bad was a big negative for me.

electricalist

I love the electrical trade ,but I like things that don't use a lot of electricity. I'm not sure if I know if electricity as a whole is worth the price.
Many customers swear by all electric houses, then something fails and they don't like it the same.
LED IMHO was a product that said yes you can get what you want or equivalent to what you had for less kW usage.
Now if we could only get them silly phone people to share those 60v all the time I could run my LED lights through the phone co.:thumbsup:

junkhound

Occupation
EE, power electronics specialty
Would never use anything else once have had one. True of everyone in out family.

We have 2, son has one, grand-daughter has another, and I have 3 more that I got cheap (non working on CL) that await getting new IGBTs installed.

Deep fat fry in a skillet without fear of any fire.

Easy for kids to learn to cook on without fear of serious burns unless it is a spill.

Only disadvantage is need to use magnetic cookware, as all commercially available work on hysterysis losses.

Panasonic/Toshiba have built development models that are high frequency and work with any metal cookware, but not available commercially.

One can replace individual parts on any model, but you need to be familiar with power electronics to figure out the circuits as NONE of the mfg makes the detailed circuit schematics available.

Older units with mylar touch switches fail the first time there is a hot spill, gave the early units a bad name. The 20 YO Kenmore (Panasonic) in our kitchen had that happen and I replaced the touch pad with actual microswitches and no failures since. Newer units have all the capacitive touch pads under the cover ceramic plate.

Faster than gas even.

meternerd

Occupation
retired water & electric utility electrician, meter/relay tech
I remodeled my kitchen about 6 years ago. Went from a gas slide in stove/oven to a Bosch wall mount electric convection double oven and a Miele induction cooktop (only 3" deep, so I could put a drawer type microwave below it). 50A circuit for each. Touch type controls are part of the ceramic top (no membranes). Wifey loves it. Surface still looks brand new (spilled stuff just wipes off) and the only heat is from the pan itself. Heat is very fast, quickly adjusts and shuts off instantly too. Completely silent. Other brands had a cooling fan that was noisy. The gas stove always looked dirty from burned on gunk. Magnetic cookware (Allclad) is aluminum plated and also still looks new. Never had any trouble at all. Not cheap, though. 36" was $2700. Worth every penny. Happy wife, happy life!:D

Attachments

• old kitchen.jpg
    old kitchen.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 1
  • kitchen.jpg
    kitchen.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

GeorgeB

ElectroHydraulics engineer (retired)
Occupation
Retired
My son spent several years in Spain, and told me that's all anyone uses there; at his request, spent a good while on video chat explaining how it worked to him. I'm used to induction heating of metal parts before hydraulic press forging operations.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
What about radiated magnetic fields and a pregnant wife with her belly near this cooktop?Do you guys have any health safety concerns ?
The magnetic field is confined to a very limited region. And the frequency is such that its effect on anything but ferrous metal is quite small.
Someone who is EMF sensitive may see it differently.

Status
Not open for further replies.