Generator Feed

Status
Not open for further replies.

lowans

Hi I am just wondering if anyone could shed some light for me as I am getting mixed opinions on this topic. We have a 400kva generator and a main distribution panel for the generator 20 feet away. The MDP is mlo fed straight from the generator with the breakers in the MDP covering 4 ATS's throughout the complex. Do we require to have a means of disconnection at the generator ?

rlundsrud

So there is no OCP for the wiring from the generator to the MLO? I would think you would need to have that protection in place as this wouldn't be covered by tap rule. That aside I would think you are ok as they 4 breakers do not exceed the 6 disconnect rule.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I find that a most interesting question.
Art 445.18 leads me to believe the generator would need to be equipped with a disconnecting means but does not mandate it have OCP, 240.21(G) assists in sizing but does not seem to dictate location.
I have no answer and look forward to others' comments.

ron

Does the generator have any inherent overcurrent protection?

For example,the Cummins control panel (PowerCommand Controls and AmpSentry) can provide the needed overcurrent protection for the generator output without a breaker.

ron

I find that a most interesting question.
Art 445.18 leads me to believe the generator would need to be equipped with a disconnecting means but does not mandate it have OCP, 240.21(G) assists in sizing but does not seem to dictate location.
I have no answer and look forward to others' comments.
I think 240.21(G) and 445.12 require overload protection, but not short circuit protection.

Status
Not open for further replies.