Bonding plumbing passed the meter

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
What are the rules for bonding plumbing passed the meter? Basically in coming metal water is bonded and the meter is jumper with copper pipe running into the basement rafters. However, small segments there after are being converted to PEX piping. Do these need bonding jumpers like a water meter?

kwired

Electron manager
Most will say no you don't have to.

NEC doesn't say you have to bond all metal piping it just says you need to bond to metal piping systems.

IMO the jumper around the meter came from days when all piping was metallic and you were allowed to land the water pipe GEC at any convenient point on the water piping - the jumper was to assure continuity to the actual underground portion of the piping when the meter was removed for servicing reasons. It can still serve that same purpose but the rule we have had for close to 20 years now to bond within 5 feet of entrance of the water piping really changes the whole perspective of this.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
Most will say no you don't have to.

NEC doesn't say you have to bond all metal piping it just says you need to bond to metal piping systems.

IMO the jumper around the meter came from days when all piping was metallic and you were allowed to land the water pipe GEC at any convenient point on the water piping - the jumper was to assure continuity to the actual underground portion of the piping when the meter was removed for servicing reasons. It can still serve that same purpose but the rule we have had for close to 20 years now to bond within 5 feet of entrance of the water piping really changes the whole perspective of this.

Thanks! Looking at 250 you are right.

I just find it odd though, isn't one of the reasons for a plumbing bond in case a hot wire touched a copper water pipe?

kwired

Electron manager
Thanks! Looking at 250 you are right.

I just find it odd though, isn't one of the reasons for a plumbing bond in case a hot wire touched a copper water pipe?

Didn't look before posting but IIRC metal water piping systems have to be bonded to the electrical system, but other metal piping systems it says something like where likely to be energized. I don't really see that a water system is more or less likely to be energized in most instances yet is required to be bonded regardless:huh:

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
Didn't look before posting but IIRC metal water piping systems have to be bonded to the electrical system, but other metal piping systems it says something like where likely to be energized. I don't really see that a water system is more or less likely to be energized in most instances yet is required to be bonded regardless:huh:

Same, that is odd.

Status
Not open for further replies.