Meter can height/location

Status
Not open for further replies.
If upgrading service and changing meter can to a single family residence, I assume the accepted height range is dictated by the POCO?

The situation is, on the exterior exposure where the service drop comes in, there are plans to build a deck. The deck won't be raised enough to provide access to the meter below it, but if the meter is mounted at a reasonable height for access via deck, it will be out of reach until the deck is built.

Any ideas?

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
If upgrading service and changing meter can to a single family residence, I assume the accepted height range is dictated by the POCO?

The situation is, on the exterior exposure where the service drop comes in, there are plans to build a deck. The deck won't be raised enough to provide access to the meter below it, but if the meter is mounted at a reasonable height for access via deck, it will be out of reach until the deck is built.

Any ideas?

Idea #1: Call the POCO and ask them for a meter location.

Aside from that, I don't think it can be under the deck unless the deck is 6'6" off the ground. You may be able to put it above the deck where it won't be compliant until the deck is built, but you don't have to call for inspection until the deck is built. That's how it is around here, where we hook up to the service drop ourselves.

You might end up having to move the whole thing. Can you move it to the right or left so it's not under the deck, then run pipe from the meter under the deck and back to the original hole where it entered the building?

The deck is planned to wrap around that whole side of the house. There's a basement walkout that will be under deck but I think there will be enough height to mount there back to back with panel possibly to avoid disconnect.

I'll have to ask POCO if it being under a deck is okay.

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
I don't see why not if proper working clearances are provided. Also I've found that the meter usually needs to be between 3-6 feet off the ground. The ground being where you would stand to work on it.

iwire

Staff member

Correct.

In my opinion there is nothing in the NEC at all that applies to a power company meter socket / meter

90.2 Scope.

(B) Not Covered.
This Code does not cover the following:

(5) Installations under the exclusive control of an electric
utility where such installations

a. Consist of service drops or service laterals, and associated
metering,
or

meternerd

Occupation
retired water & electric utility electrician, meter/relay tech
POCO sets meter height & location. Ours, for instance, is 5 to 6.5ft meter C/L due to snow. Also can't be on the "shed" side of the roof. Easier to check that to have to move it later. I doubt they'd require a temporary platform if it's under construction, but who knows. "Available access" is usually the key phrase.

Status
Not open for further replies.