Extra length of conductors in service panels

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garygood

Why and when was the practice of having extra long conductors connecting to the breakers in a sevice panel?

i was in a panel to day and there was at lease 24" extra on each conductors from the wire connector entrance to the breaker
does any one have a good reason for the extra wire

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
IMO there is no good reason. If a wire is short is the future you can splice a piece on.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
The only reason I can think of is if someone wanted to move circuits around at a later date. To me it makes a mess and is unnecessary

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
I guess one reason would be if you need to move breakers/circuits around in the future??

kwired

Electron manager
And if it is an old panel that didn't have the wire bending space they typically have today it will be even more crowded.

John120/240

The convenience of having the extra wire is overwhelmed by the irritation of fighting through the added clutter.

And if it is an old panel that didn't have the wire bending space they typically have today it will be even more crowded.

Yes on both counts. It is a decision when you come across a panel full of EXTRA wire. Do I clean up this rats nest, since they called me today, maybe they will call next year. Or just leave it alone & deal with it when it happens. Unfortunately leave it be is the answer.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
Long conductors in the panel does not have to be rats nest, IF it is installed in a neat tucked away manner.

James L

Occupation
Electrician
The guy I first learned from insisted on leaving the wires long enough to loop to the bottom of the panel, then back up to the breakers. He rationalized - in case you need to move them around.

I asked him once "so, do you sneak back in during the middle of the night and rearrange all their breakers?"

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
Cut 'em, strip 'em, land 'em. Get all that extra wire out of there. I'm not a neat freak at all. There is at least a hundred guys that make up prettier than I do. I hate the spaghetti bowl that comes with leaving extra wire in the panel more than I hate Billy Idol.

iwire

Staff member
I hate the spaghetti bowl that comes with leaving extra wire in the panel more than I hate Billy Idol.

William Idol is not impressed.

billyidol624-1401297833.jpg

kwired

Electron manager
Long conductors in the panel does not have to be rats nest, IF it is installed in a neat tucked away manner.
And is much easier to accomplish in a 20 inch wide cabinet that is filled with primarily 15 and 20 amp circuits then it is with most any 1970's model load center that is only 12 inches wide with reduced space at top/bottom and is full of tandem breakers:happyyes:

GerryB

The guy I first learned from insisted on leaving the wires long enough to loop to the bottom of the panel, then back up to the breakers. He rationalized - in case you need to move them around.

I asked him once "so, do you sneak back in during the middle of the night and rearrange all their breakers?"
Well, don't know how old you are but you may appreciate that guy someday when you have to upgrade one of his old panels and all the wires are long enough to reach the breakers and neutral bar without splices.:) I usually leave about a 6' loop (granted not as neat) and on the larger wire I put them on a breaker far away from where they enter.

kwired

Electron manager
Well, don't know how old you are but you may appreciate that guy someday when you have to upgrade one of his old panels and all the wires are long enough to reach the breakers and neutral bar without splices.:) I usually leave about a 6' loop (granted not as neat) and on the larger wire I put them on a breaker far away from where they enter.
6 feet? If I am leaving that much extra on a panel supplying primarily NM cables - that extra is going to be outside the panel somehow.

meternerd

Occupation
retired water & electric utility electrician, meter/relay tech
OP mentioned "service panel". Got me to thinking (that's probably dangerous). I got in the habit of leaving lots of extra in U/G service drops in Alaska because of frost heave. A panel installed with nice, tight wire usually ended up with a ground fault when the panel raised up a few inches due to the frozen ground and the fitting cut into the conductor. Still do it that way. But NM....clean and mean. Your work is your signature....quill pen or Crayola?

James L

Occupation
Electrician

I'm 44 years old. Started in the trade at 21.

I don't really think about it when I'm changing a panel, just par for the course.

The one time I did regret not leaving extra wire was about 18 years ago, I wired a little split level home with a 100amp service. The same day I was finishing, the homeowners decided to have the service upgraded to 200

So on a brand new house I had splices in the panel

Status
Not open for further replies.