GFCI vending machine

Status
Not open for further replies.

thewire

I have a question in regard to this. Since we are replacing a couple of the machines with newer machine manufactured in 2015, and the existing power circuit is currently no protected by any GFCI outlet. Can it meet the code by have an inline GFCI or GFCI breaker at the panel installed?

120V, 20A breaker @ panel. 20A twist lock L5-20 receptacle

Does the GFCI has to be readily accessible? What it mean by that? Does it required to be accessible by authorized personnel or public? Since the power to the vendor is from the base of the vendor.

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
I have a question in regard to this. Since we are replacing a couple of the machines with newer machine manufactured in 2015, and the existing power circuit is currently no protected by any GFCI outlet. Can it meet the code by have an inline GFCI or GFCI breaker at the panel installed?

120V, 20A breaker @ panel. 20A twist lock L5-20 receptacle

Does the GFCI has to be readily accessible? What it mean by that? Does it required to be accessible by authorized personnel or public? Since the power to the vendor is from the base of the vendor.

422.51 Vending Machines.
Informational Note For further information, see ANSI/UL 541-2010, Standard for Refrigerated Vending Machines, or ANSI/UL 751-2010, Standard for Vending Machines.

(A) Cord-and Plug-Connected. Cord-and plug-connected vending machines manufactured or remanufactured on or after January 1, 2005, shall include a ground-fault circuit interrupter as an integral part of the attachment plug or be located within 300 mm (12 in.) of the attachment plug. Older vending machines manufactured or remanufactured prior to January 1, 2005, shall be connected to a GFCI-protected outlet.

(B) Other Than Cord-and Plug-Connected. Vending machines not utilizing a cord and plug connection shall be connected to a ground-fault circuit-interrupter protected circuit.

If the cord has the protection on it then the circuit will not need the GFCI protection.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
If the cord has the protection on it then the circuit will not need the GFCI protection.

Not quite true. If the receptacle is in an area where gfci is required then you need a gfci protection.

The op asks if a gfci breaker is compliant? Yes it is and it is readily accessible. You cannot install a gfci receptacle that would be behind the vending machine as that would not be readily accessible.

thewire

Not quite true. If the receptacle is in an area where gfci is required then you need a gfci protection.

The op asks if a gfci breaker is compliant? Yes it is and it is readily accessible. You cannot install a gfci receptacle that would be behind the vending machine as that would not be readily accessible.

So, the GFCI is for the protection of the public if something wrong on the machine. The existing outlet is located on the base of the machine which can be accessible if you have the key to open the machine.

Question: Since the existing circuit from panel to receptacle is just a home run connection from A to B on a 20A breaker, and instead of upgrading the breaker to have a built-in GCFI, the easiest solution I can think of is having an inline GFCI from the receptacle to the machine where the machine plug in to the inline (assumed the machine cord is not)

can I do that?

ADub

Occupation
Estimator/Project Manager
If the machines are new they should have gfci protection equipped on the cord from the factory I thought. If that's the case why do anything?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

raider1

Staff member
422.51 does not require the GFCI receptacle to be accessible.

I knew that.. LOL I actually do remember that but I forgot. Article 210.8 requires the accessible gfci but vending machines are not included so you are correct. Thank you.

Actually if you are on the 2014 NEC then the GFCI protection for the vending machine would be required to be readily accessible.

422.5 Ground-Fault Circuit-Interrupter (GFCI) Protection.
The device providing GFCI protection required in
this article shall be readily accessible.

Chris

thewire

If the machines are new they should have gfci protection equipped on the cord from the factory I thought. If that's the case why do anything?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I am not sure. The machine is not installed/delivered yet. Is it common to have cord gfci protection?

raider1

Staff member
thanks..which section in NEC stated that? I want to read for reference

Here is what 422.51 states in regards to GFCI protection of vending machines.

422.51 Vending Machines.
(A) Cord-and Plug-Connected. Cord-and plug-connected
vending machines manufactured or remanufactured on or
after January 1, 2005, shall include a ground-fault circuit
interrupter identified for portable use as an integral part of
the attachment plug or be located within 300 mm (12 in.) of
the attachment plug. Older vending machines manufactured
or remanufactured prior to January 1, 2005, shall be connected
to a GFCI-protected outlet.

Chris

thewire

Here is what 422.51 states in regards to GFCI protection of vending machines.

Chris

Thanks

Just one clarification.

Vending machine = anything that dispersing item to consumers right? Any public facing vending machine that sit in the floor potentially exposed to rain/snow or weather

thewire

Thanks

Just one clarification.

Vending machine = anything that dispersing item to consumers right? Any public facing vending machine that sit in the floor potentially exposed to rain/snow or weather

nevermind, answer my own question

422.2. Definition..

Status
Not open for further replies.