Liquidtite isn't...

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomspark1

I tried searching for this...Got a code violation on a T-pole for putting 12-2 nm in a 1' piece of liquidtite from the panel to a bell box. AHJ wrote: "Inside liquidtite is considered a wet location" from 334.10. Is this legit? Why is it called liquidtite if it isn't? TIA

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Of course it's legit... an inspector wrote it :D
Seriously, a second reference would be 300.9. If the raceway is installed in a wet location the interior of the raceway is considered a wet location.
Most likely because most all raceways will accumulate moisture inside due to condensation and other factors.

MasterTheNEC

CEO and President of Electrical Code Academy, Inc.
Occupation
CEO
I tried searching for this...Got a code violation on a T-pole for putting 12-2 nm in a 1' piece of liquidtite from the panel to a bell box. AHJ wrote: "Inside liquidtite is considered a wet location" from 334.10. Is this legit? Why is it called liquidtite if it isn't? TIA

Is the inside of the LT a location...Nope....is the LT placed in a wet location...YEP.....is Type NM Cable permitted in a wet location..Nope...did you place it in a wet location...YEP. Yes, the inspector is LEGIT!

rhovee

EMT is not permitted to be installed in concrete below grade. If you used NM cable through PVC underground (which under the slab to a kitchen island is underground if it's on grade), then it would be a wet location. So NM cable would not be allowed.

rlundsrud

EMT is not permitted to be installed in concrete below grade. If you used NM cable through PVC underground (which under the slab to a kitchen island is underground if it's on grade), then it would be a wet location. So NM cable would not be allowed.

While I would never do it, I thought you could use EMT in a slab as long as the fittings were listed for use. It has been a while (15+ years), but I recall seeing fittings that said listed for use in a slab if wrapped in duct tape.

raider1

Staff member
EMT is not permitted to be installed in concrete below grade.

While I would never do it, I thought you could use EMT in a slab as long as the fittings were listed for use. It has been a while (15+ years), but I recall seeing fittings that said listed for use in a slab if wrapped in duct tape.

Here is what 358.10 says about EMT in direct contact with the earth or installed in concrete.

358.10 Uses Permitted.
(B) Corrosion Protection. Ferrous or nonferrous EMT, elbows,
couplings, and fittings shall be permitted to be installed
in concrete, in direct contact with the earth, or in
areas subject to severe corrosive influences where protected
by corrosion protection and approved as suitable for the
condition.

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.