Please help me. I'm not an electrician. I would like to know why....

Status
Not open for further replies.

InterNACHI

I would like to know why it is a good practice to remove the jacket and paper sheathing from cables inside a panel. Is the reason only for panel neatness or is there also a technical, code, or safety reason for removing?

I am not an electrician and I know very little about this issue. I'm a friend of Mike Holt.

I very much enjoy reading this forum, although much of it is over my head.

Thanks in advance.

Nick Gromicko
InterNACHI

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I would like to know why it is a good practice to remove the jacket and paper sheathing from cables inside a panel. Is the reason only for panel neatness or is there also a technical, code, or safety reason for removing?

I am not an electrician and I know very little about this issue. I'm a friend of Mike Holt.

I very much enjoy reading this forum, although much of it is over my head.

Thanks in advance.

Nick Gromicko
InterNACHI

The only thing I know that the code addresses concerning NM ( sheathing in a panel or box) is the sheath/jacket has to protrude at least 1/4" past the connector which contains it.
It's just a matter of taking less room in the panel, easier to "train" the wires/conductors, and neatness as you mentioned, IMO.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
I'd say the paper is a no brainer given it is an easily combustible material.

Speculation leads me to believe heat dissipation factors into jacket removal.

mwm1752

No code against it but I never considered any advantage in leaving it on -- workmanship though is in the code and is an arbitrary call. Tell me Nick, do you have an applicable purpose for your question?

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Once within the privacy of your enclosure, outer garments just get in the way. But of course you must leave the inner garments in place right to the end so that you prevent an uncontrollable reaction from taking place should the conductors touch anything too soon...

:angel:

InterNACHI

Tell me Nick, do you have an applicable purpose for your question?
Yes. Many of my members see this issue, but don't know what or even if they should comment on it, since it isn't a code violation. It appears that is is merely an issue of neatness.

Status
Not open for further replies.