EXIT light - - rules and regs of install ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

sundowner

So here is my situation - I replaced an existing illuminated (red) Exit light on the top of a flight of stairs in my 4th floor penthouse. There is only one way in and one way out of this penthouse AHU area - the stairs from the 3rd floor. On wall at the top of the stairs is the Exit light - wall mount, Right behind the Exit light is a doorway which leads out onto the roof of my building for servicing the roof top units - period. No other access beyond the roof.

Keep in mind I replaced an existing directional exit light here with the same model fixture - just an LED style, same red illumination, same arrows on both sides pointing to the roof access door.

My local maintenance guys are arguing with me about it. They say I can't have the arrows pointing to outside because its not an exit and the "Fire Chief" will CMA!! The local FD is just a couple hundred yards from my shop, so I will inquire about this install to those guys.

Where do I look in the mean time as far as a building code or fire code as to the requirements of this and if its legal or not??

any advice guys?

Thanks!!

kwired

Electron manager
A door that goes outdoors but to an area that doesn't allow you to leave the site or building isn't considered an emergency egress. Granted if there is a fire in the stairway it is still better to go to this rooftop then to remain in the building. But exit signs are to show you the way to a route that actually leaves the building. You could have a similar situation if you were on grade level floor - but that door went to a patio, courtyard, etc. that had no exit from the premises.

RICK NAPIER

If your using the International Building Code then an exit discharge is part of your egress and is defined as
EXIT DISCHARGE. That portion of a means of egress system between the termination of an exit and a public way.
and since there is no public way on a roof it cannot be considered an egress path and as such it is not an exit.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I was involved with similar situation a good number of years back. There was not an exit light involved but, the equipment area on the roof was definitely a fire trap. The solution came down to a rope ladder being stored in a cabinet on the roof. I don't know if it would fly today but, I would feel better knowing it was there.

Roger

cowboyjwc

Staff member
If your using the International Building Code then an exit discharge is part of your egress and is defined as
EXIT DISCHARGE. That portion of a means of egress system between the termination of an exit and a public way.
and since there is no public way on a roof it cannot be considered an egress path and as such it is not an exit.
I agree.

sundowner

Thanks guys...

The argument I'm facing is escalating - I finally went and talked with the local AHJ - my Fire Marshall. I showed him my floor plans and explained the install. (how I had replaced an existing EXIT light with a new identical fixture).

He says great - job done!! He also explained that this EXIT fixture was on a state approved plan whenever it was speced and installed. He also said me or my sup. aren't qualified to change it's intent, or configuration. That would require an engineering plan alteration.

Interestingly - he said that just because your directing folks out onto a roof top which is inaccessible to me and my crew in a fire alarm situation - doesn't make it inaccessible to him and his crew! He went on to say that once the building is in full alarm, people on a roof top are most certainly his problem, and all they do is train to remove those people to safety.

He was very helpful, I going to put this baby to bed!!

Thanks guys!!

GrayHair

My take

My take

I worked on quite a few Delayed Egress Systems leading to rooftops and they all had lighted exit signs. A access control system often provided passage for service personnel (with automatic re-arming) regardless of the direction of travel. On a fire alarm activation, these doors unlocked immediately and remained unlocked until:
(1. The fire alarm was reset, and
(2. The delayed egress device was manually reset.

My take is that more people die from the smoke/fire-gases in a fire than from the heat/flames, making the roof an area of refuge (reduced or free of smoke/fire-gases). Did and does make sense to me.

Regards!

Status
Not open for further replies.