NOTE: to all inside wireman

Status
Not open for further replies.

lotto

I just recently became a foreman. My very first job was a relatively small "dirt" job. I've done plenty of underground, so I felt pretty confident. Although small in size, the client was a so. Cal POCO. I had absolutely no idea how particular they really are. I installed per specs... Sweeping fiberglass 90's... Special depth coverage.... Special spacing between conduits..... Special slurry mix (what a nightmare that was).... Special compaction rates etc etc. I passed every inspection by the city step by step. One month later I get a call from my superintendent telling me I failed the city's mandrel test and everything needs to be ripped up, redug and redone.... Finished concrete and all..... All because a city mandrel wouldnt go through a couple ul listed factory PVC 15? bends..... Luckily I still have a job! The Point is if your an inside wireman running work BEWARE of POCO work!

mkgrady

Not as sorry as I was!
That is quite an expensive mistake if it's real and I would think worth a challenge. Do you agree that the mandrel will not likely go through a 15 degree factory bend? If not, does that say you should not have use these sweeps? I don't know what the mandrel spec is but if you think it should go then maybe they screwed up the test. Maybe there mandrel is to long or too wide to go around the bends. Can you challenge them and do the test on your own with a mandrell that meets the specifications?

lotto

You sound like me... Lol! I ran my "shop ordered" mandrel through every bend that came off the delivery truck... I'd say 90% went through no prob! The others were refused and sent back. But you are 100% right when you said maybe their mandrel was too long or too big/ thick/whatever. After sucking in poly line I pulled 1/4 rope. I then used that 1/4 rope to pull my own mandrel with a replacement 1/4 rope... No prob through all 8 conduits... Its not my place to fight... I get paid to install!

PetrosA

You sound like me... Lol! I ran my "shop ordered" mandrel through every bend that came off the delivery truck... I'd say 90% went through no prob! The others were refused and sent back. But you are 100% right when you said maybe their mandrel was too long or too big/ thick/whatever. After sucking in poly line I pulled 1/4 rope. I then used that 1/4 rope to pull my own mandrel with a replacement 1/4 rope... No prob through all 8 conduits... Its not my place to fight... I get paid to install!

I'm not sure what you mean by "shop ordered mandrel" but if someone else higher up than you are provided you with that mandrel to use on that job, disregard everything I wrote below. If you chose the mandrel yourself, keep reading ;)

There is discrepancy in what you write that I wouldn't want to hear if you were my employee. You knew there was a mandrel test, and as the foreman you used one to qualify or disqualify materials delivered to the job site. Someone else comes along with a different mandrel and disqualifies your work and now you're claiming that you're just an installer?

I don't know what the work is worth, but I would expect a foreman working for me to do the following:

1 - Confirm the specs of the mandrel used for pre- and post- installation testing
2 - If the mandrel you used met the specs provided, then you need to challenge the decision.

In my opinion, a job foreman is not just "getting paid to install," that's what the guys under you are paid for. You're getting paid to ensure that the installation meets the specifications provided. I'd say you still have some work ahead of you.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor

Not your job to fight true, If you used the proper mandrel and everything was ok then I just hope that nobody places blame on you.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Perhaps because I'm not from the area I am left a bit perplexed. Can you explain to me why the city is inspecting to job specifications, let alone a POCO project...???

electricalist

My supervisor came from Ca. He tells of similar things..
The poco specs the service underground method,,sweeps,depth, spacing etc. The city inspector would come and inspect it and used his own mandrel..
Hindsight is always ask who specs method,install,and tests with what and whos approved test equipment.

Status
Not open for further replies.