210.52(C)(5) exception

Status
Not open for further replies.

JDB3

210.52(C)(5) exception for island or peninsula. If I am reading the exception correctly, & if there is no back-splash area or cabinet above the island or peninsula to mount/locate a receptacle, then it is permissible to locate them at the ends of the island within the guidelines of: within 12" of the top & the counter top is not over 6" past the base & no receptacles would be required to be mounted on the top ? :happyno: :happyyes:

ceb58

210.52(C)(5) exception for island or peninsula. If I am reading the exception correctly, & if there is no back-splash area or cabinet above the island or peninsula to mount/locate a receptacle, then it is permissible to locate them at the ends of the island within the guidelines of: within 12" of the top & the counter top is not over 6" past the base & no receptacles would be required to be mounted on the top ? :happyno: :happyyes:

You got it

JDB3

Thanks. But 1 more item on the subject.
Then the 2 foot rule would not apply (that no point along a kitchen counter top can not be more than 2 feet from a receptacle) :?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Then the 2 foot rule would not apply (that no point along a kitchen counter top can not be more than 2 feet from a receptacle) :?

Not quite. Think of it this way. Most appliances have a 2' cord so you need to be able to reach an outlet from anywhere on the counter. 2' from an appliance then 4' between the receptacles.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Here is a good graphic from mike holt

ry%3D400

mwm1752

Islands & pennisulas have specific references that are exceptions to the rule. read further

iwire

Staff member

Not quite. Think of it this way. Most appliances have a 2' cord so you need to be able to reach an outlet from anywhere on the counter. 2' from an appliance then 4' between the receptacles.

Dennis it seems you said exactly what JDB3 said and I agree with you both. :)

As mwm1752 points out the key is islands and peninsulas are not covered by those same spacing rules.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Dennis it seems you said exactly what JDB3 said and I agree with you both. :)

As mwm1752 points out the key is islands and peninsulas are not covered by those same spacing rules.

Yep, I did-- oops. I read it as a receptacle every 2 foot. Sorry

JDB3

Sorry, I am getting confused.
Islands & Peninsulas.
The rule that no point may be more than 2 feet away from any receptacle. Applies [ ] Does not apply [ ] :?

If it applies, may a receptacle be placed on the back side of the counter top (but then this would be facing & in another room ?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Islands & Peninsulas.
The rule that no point may be more than 2 feet away from any receptacle. Applies [ ] Does not apply [X] :?

Unless divided into two or more spaces only one receptacle is required.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Islands & Peninsulas.
The rule that no point may be more than 2 feet away from any receptacle. Applies [ ] Does not apply [ ] :?

If it applies, may a receptacle be placed on the back side of the counter top (but then this would be facing & in another room ?

Not anypoint but an appliance placed along the wall must be ale to reach an outlet within the 2' cord that is provided. This means place the appliance in the middle and the outlets must be no more than 2' to either side of the appliance or 4' apart.

Status
Not open for further replies.