Really Small Junction Box

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkgrady

I bought some line voltage LED puck lights that advertise as being suitable for hard wiring. The fixture gets recessed into the surface using a hole that is 2-1/8" in diameter. A splice connects the attached two wire cord to the romex. All the external parts of the fixture are nonmetallic so grounding is apparently not needed. Obviously this splice can't just be tucked inside the hole....it needs to be in a box of some kind. It also comes with an optional harness that can be used to plug the fixture into a receptacle but getting a receptacle above the hole doesn't seem possible.

Does anybody make a box small enough to fit into a 2-1/8" hole? Wiremold maybe? Any other ideas?

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
The 120 volt puck are not designed or UL listed to be hardwired. They are designed to be plugged in. When HD first got the brilliant idea to start marketing 120V pucks vs 12V pucks supplied from a class 2 power supply I contacted UL and that is what I was told. I also questioned the recessed mount option and was told that was only for furniture applications.

If the designer wants puck lights tell them you will have to install a remote class 2 power supply and use 12V pucks.

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
The descriptions state - 6' cord and plug.
Seems pretty clear that these are not designed or listed for direct wiring.

Designers can ask for anything they want but I refuse to install non code compliant/hazardous wiring. If there is a liability claim in the future the designer is point to the installer. If a remote transformer is not possible they make small LED hardwired fixtures but they come a higher price.

mkgrady

The descriptions state - 6' cord and plug.
Seems pretty clear that these are not designed or listed for direct wiring.

Designers can ask for anything they want but I refuse to install non code compliant/hazardous wiring. If there is a liability claim in the future the designer is point to the installer. If a remote transformer is not possible they make small LED hardwired fixtures but they come a higher price.

The heading is 120 volt direct. The cord is not attached. It comes with a short whip of cord that links to a cord with a plug on it. I assume I can connect the short whip to my Romex in a junction box if I can find one small enough to fit in the hole.

Can anybody point me to another direct wired 120 volt led puck light?

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Status
Not open for further replies.