GEC Landing/Bonding Water Main

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cletis

When you land the GEC to the water main and jump around the main shutoff, if you many and many other valves and shutoffs, and regulators where does the NEC state you need to land the other end of the grounding bonding jumper? Code ref ?

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
If I am picturing your question correctly, then the end of the GEC will stop on the last pipe connector that is past the last valve. And if you have extra length then you cut off the extra. And of course one end starts at the panel.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
250.52 describes when a metal underground water pipe is considered an electrode and requires it to be "electrically continuous (or made electrically continuous by binding around insulation joints or insulating pipe) to the point of connection of the grounding electrode conductor and bonding jumpers, if installed.
(There used to be a 5 ft limitation but I fail to see that in then '11 Code)
250.53(D) states if used as a grounding electrode the continuity of the metal underground water pipe shall not depend on water meters, filtering devices, and similar equipment .

As don states, I don't seen a valve specifically listed but an inspector might well look at it that way in light of the "similar equipment wording" especially if the valve is installed by an easily removable means such as unions.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Article 250.53(D)(1) states that the continuity of the ground path shall not rely on water meters or filtering devices, etc

(D) Metal UndergroundWater Pipe. If used as a grounding
electrode, metal underground water pipe shall meet the
requirements of 250.53(D)(1) and (D)(2).
(1) Continuity. Continuity of the grounding path or the
bonding connection to interior piping shall not rely on water
meters or filtering devices and similar equipment.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
I saw that and this may be another case of "teach Gus" today but I detect a subtle difference.
In the '08 Code in 250.52(A)it states that piping beyond 5 ft shall not be used as a grounding electrode OR as a conductor to interconnect.
In '11 it only references the interconnect part (250.68(C), anyway)and I don't see the 5 ft mentioned in 250.52(A)

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I believe in 2011 art. 250 went thru a big change in terms of where things were located. It looks to me like they just moved the 5' out of 250.52 and put it in 250.68(C). As you can see 250.68(C) was totally rewritten in 2011. In 2008 there wasn't an article 250.68(C)

I think it is the same in spite of all this.

electricalist

3fd16a37aabd395d10077ca86614412f.jpg

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I don't see a device that controls the flow of the water as being similar to devices that measure the flow of water or filter the water.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
I don't see a device that controls the flow of the water as being similar to devices that measure the flow of water or filter the water.

I prefer when I can reference the Code directly when making inspections but we have to do a little "interpreting". Perhaps my outlook is incorrect but I look at it as to the likelihood that a component is going to be removed and cause a loss in continuity more so than its function.
To me, the likelihood of a valve needing to be replaced is on par with a meter or filter (or back-flow preventer) and I treat them the same. On 90%+ of the jobs I inspect the GEC is connected within the 1st 12" prior to any fitting so its not an issue.

FREEBALL

I had a similar install years back and the thinking was if the valve becomes faulty and needs replaced then while replacing it if the bond was placed downstream the continuity would be ineffective. So anything that could possibly need repaired should be bypassed and the GEC bonded on the incoming side. If that makes sense.

electricalist

It seems if we connect to cold water in the first 5' then are implying this is a system bond for lightning and excessive voltage and that would need to be supplemented. If we bond cold water for safety then id think that happens at the hot water heater feeders egc so the valvues and shutoffs and pex make it improbable to be bonded completely..

Status
Not open for further replies.