Fire Alarm Cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

powerplay

In an existing 10000 sq ft Warehouse, I was told to run 18/5 Armoured Fire Alarm Cable to add another two Gongs and an Pull Station. Is the #18 gauge adequate for the voltage drop? The Warehouse is only a fraction of the entire Complex.

I was told it was ok to run regular armoured 4 conductor #14 "bx"... Is Fire Alarm cable not supposed to be higher temperature rating? Thanks again!!

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
In an existing 10000 sq ft Warehouse, I was told to run 18/5 Armoured Fire Alarm Cable to add another two Gongs and an Pull Station. Is the #18 gauge adequate for the voltage drop? The Warehouse is only a fraction of the entire Complex.

I was told it was ok to run regular armoured 4 conductor #14 "bx"... Is Fire Alarm cable not supposed to be higher temperature rating? Thanks again!!

If you're hooking up gongs and pull stations, I don't see why you need the extra conductor, 18-4 should be adequate as far as number of conductors is concerned. As to voltage drop 18 gauge is a little light, especially as gongs tend to be power hogs. We typically run 14 for notification appliances.

You will want to check with the FACP manufacturer to see if they allow running the alarm and notification circuit in the same cable, especially if it's an addressable system.

"Fire Alarm" cable is whatever cable is attached to the fire alarm control panel. Some jurisdictions, NYC for example, do have special requirements, but there is nothing in NFPA 72 detailing the physical characteristics of conductors used for fire alarm. Check with your AHJ for local requirements. Windy City has a nice 2-conductor product, but you'll have to call them for info, it's not on their web site.

The "higher temperature" requirements you may be thinking of could relate to the 2-hour survivability requirement for certain fire alarm circuits when exposed to fire (CI and CIC cable), but these are not very common.

nhfire77

You are installing 'gongs'? Are they just mechanical bells?

FPL cable is 75c rated. As gadfly said there is a cable NYC require, among others, rated 150c or 200c. Unless it's required you don't buy this cable. It's pricy, but installing it is simpler when dealing with rough edges, it's smoother than others and its jacket it thick and stiff.
As for voltage drop, it depends on the VD calcs.

powerplay

I just looked up FAS Cable that I have used in the past, and it is rated 105 degrees. I have run regular "bx" cable rated 90 degfrees in an Warehouse. I have run 14/2 for mechanical bells before, and was puzzled when I was told to run 5 conductor for another bell, but I assume he intends to install an "strobe" that mounts into the smaller box he said to use....that or he was in a big rush?

If you're hooking up gongs and pull stations, I don't see why you need the extra conductor, 18-4 should be adequate as far as number of conductors is concerned. As to voltage drop 18 gauge is a little light, especially as gongs tend to be power hogs. We typically run 14 for notification appliances.

You will want to check with the FACP manufacturer to see if they allow running the alarm and notification circuit in the same cable, especially if it's an addressable system.

"Fire Alarm" cable is whatever cable is attached to the fire alarm control panel. Some jurisdictions, NYC for example, do have special requirements, but there is nothing in NFPA 72 detailing the physical characteristics of conductors used for fire alarm. Check with your AHJ for local requirements. Windy City has a nice 2-conductor product, but you'll have to call them for info, it's not on their web site.

The "higher temperature" requirements you may be thinking of could relate to the 2-hour survivability requirement for certain fire alarm circuits when exposed to fire (CI and CIC cable), but these are not very common.

Status
Not open for further replies.