Not open for further replies.

robeward

Not quite following this section.

130.5(1) says assessment shall contain
a. safe work practices
b. arc flash boundary
c. PPE
if hazard exists.

next logical question; how to determine arc flash boundary and PPE...

130.5(B)(2) is saying that i can use the 2 tables listed to determine the boundary if system in question matches one from tables correct?

then go to 130.5(C) = Arc Flash PPE
At first it says 'one of the following methods shall be used for selection of PPE'. Looking down below to see what the options are (1) Incident Energy Analysis Method and (2) Arc Flash PPE categories Method.

but then the last sentence of 130.5(C) says that 'results of an incident energy analysis to specify an arc flash PPE category in table 130.7(C)(16) shall not be permitted.

so i have to use 1 of 2 options but one of the options is not allowed? what am i missing here?

jott

I came here with the same question today. It seems to me that table 13-.7(C)(15)(A)(b) is used to find the PPE category if no calculation is done, but it seems like something is missing for when you do a calculation. Once you calculate the incident energey if you can't use table 130.7(C)(16) what do you do with it?

If we only put the incident energy on the label to comply with this version of 70E what is the guy in field to do with that data if they can't turn to a table to tell them what PPE to wear?

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
If we only put the incident energy on the label to comply with this version of 70E what is the guy in field to do with that data if they can't turn to a table to tell them what PPE to wear?
Your company's Electrical Safe Work Practices program should address this situation. there is nothing that would prohibit you from developing a 'site specific' list of required PPE.
For example, our company effectively follows Appendix H Table H.3(b); Guidance on Selection of Arc-Rated Clothing and Other PPE for Use When Incident Energy Exposure Is Determined.

robeward

Your company's Electrical Safe Work Practices program should address this situation. there is nothing that would prohibit you from developing a 'site specific' list of required PPE.
For example, our company effectively follows Appendix H Table H.3(b); Guidance on Selection of Arc-Rated Clothing and Other PPE for Use When Incident Energy Exposure Is Determined.

so after looking at some more i gathered the same thing as you jim.

two options 1) incident energy or 2) Arc Flash PPE Categories method

if choose 1) the energy analysis, then...
130.5(B)(1) applies; use informative annex D for assistance but essentially you can use any method to determine energy as long as it is backed by sound engineering
130.5(C)(1) applies; use informative annex H.3(b) for assistance on selecting clothing but again the annex are not mandatory
so with incident energy the requirements i see are that arc boundary is at 1.2 cal/cm2 and don't use the calculated incident energy w/ table 130.7(C)(16). other than that???

if choose 2) categories method, then...
130.5(B)(2) applies; use the convenient tables if they apply to determine flash boundary and category
130.5(C)(2) applies; use the convenient tables to select PPE

the only requirements for choosing one option or the other is located a few pages down the road in 130.7(C)(15)(A) and (B).

please confirm or defeat this logic.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.