Permanent wire connections

Status
Not open for further replies.

nizak

Is it common to use crimp connectors(pt70) and tape to make up connections vs conventional wire nuts? The application is lighting and general purpose receptacle junction boxes in an addition to an existing medical facility. It's much more labor intensive and greatly reduces box fill. In questioning why it was being done that way I was told it was specified in the bid and that the engineer was requiring a permanent connection vs a wire nut.

mwm1752

Is it common to use crimp connectors(pt70) and tape to make up connections vs conventional wire nuts? The application is lighting and general purpose receptacle junction boxes in an addition to an existing medical facility. It's much more labor intensive and greatly reduces box fill. In questioning why it was being done that way I was told it was specified in the bid and that the engineer was requiring a permanent connection vs a wire nut.

comply with the approved documents -- the engineer is responsible for the specifications you are responsible for following the plans. In specific circumstances like yours, it does not matter if one type of wiring method is compliant or not, unless it's written in the contract as an interchangeable method. An experienced contractors bid would include the extra labor & material costs.

John120/240

If the bid documents/engineer specify a particular method, well that is what you should install. Or if you have a alternative run it buy your engineer for approval. I prefer Ideal Tans or Reds wirenuts.

electricalist

Sounds like a lot of submitals to cover every application.
I follow the engineered drawings..My supervisor added more lights than the drawings speced in an elevator pit..Still failed lumen test. Engineer said our lights failed not his...1800.00 reinspect fee

mwm1752

I follow the engineered drawings..My supervisor added more lights than the drawings speced in an elevator pit..Still failed lumen test. Engineer said our lights failed not his...1800.00 reinspect fee

That was one PO inspector --$1800.00 how much time did the reinspect take?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)

Time for me to relocate... TN's $27 to $35 reinspect fee does not measure up.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.