Power company service wire used for secondary?

Status
Not open for further replies.

m198power

Hello Everyone.

My VFW asked me to help fix some electrical issues. I noticed something that I thought was odd. The service comes into the building, goes through a trough and the service gets tapped in the trough, feeding 2 x 200A panels and some disconnects. On one of the panels is a 100A breaker. Off that breaker is service cable going outside to a weather head. From there it is spliced and the same type of wire used by a service provider runs overhead to the pavilion. That wire then feeds a 100A subpanel.

They told me that when a band plays and all the fridges, fryers, etc are going that breakers start tripping and they want me to install a 200A service. Now, its February here is PA and its "I hate life" cold out so I didn't investigate anything. I know I can fix all of their issues, but the wire feeding the subpanel seemed odd. I told them when the weather breaks I will check out the wire and see what its rated for.

I would prefer to measure the distance from source to subpanel, calculate for voltage drop (if there is any) and install some THWN underground, in conduit or direct burial, whatever. Ultimately they will do what I recommend, but they would prefer to run wire overhead. Running underground has issues too, and they told me that no trees or branches have hit the wire in decades.

My question to all of you is this...Can utility service wire be installed for a subpanel service? I never noticed this anywhere else. I love code and don't know it by heart yet so feel free to call out some sections.

Thank you
Vince

Smart $

Esteemed Member
...Can utility service wire be installed for a subpanel service? ...
Subpanel service is an oxymoron; its existence impossible.

I think what you mean to say is subpanel feeder.

If, and only if the utility-wire feeder is a type recognized by the NEC and meets all the associated requirements, it can be installed and compliant.

m198power

Subpanel service is an oxymoron; its existence impossible.

I think what you mean to say is subpanel feeder.

If, and only if the utility-wire feeder is a type recognized by the NEC and meets all the associated requirements, it can be installed and compliant.

I agree on point 1 and I agree on point 2. Have you ever seen this? I can honestly say that I have never done any kind of overhead anything (other and SER cable for temp power). I always thought of it as Lineman's work.

Thank you!

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
It is common in this area for contractors to use aerial triplex (or in your case it would probably need to be quadraplex) that is not a NEC recognized conductor for that type application and it has been "accepted" for eons.
Obviously I can't speak for your area but you may find the same to be true there.

electricalist

Its been atleast 10 years ago . We had a house that added a guest house. We added a riser to both locations and ran triplex. It was tricky having to meet clearances and the riser extending from the roof. The inspector had us add airline wire to both risers,

Status
Not open for further replies.