Interlock kits in parallel

Status
Not open for further replies.

GerryB

I have a customer with a 400 amp service and two 200 amp panels. I want to install an interlock on each panel and parallel the two breakers. Any code or safety issue? I don't see one.

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
I have a customer with a 400 amp service and two 200 amp panels. I want to install an interlock on each panel and parallel the two breakers. Any code or safety issue? I don't see one.

I don't understand your terminology. an interlock? parallel what "the breakers". Also for time sake, where are the panels located in relation to a.) the service b.) outside.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I don't understand your terminology. an interlock? parallel what "the breakers". Also for time sake, where are the panels located in relation to a.) the service b.) outside.

in lieu of a transfer switch there are kits made to add a backfed breaker to a panelboard that has a mechanical interlock with the main breaker so only one can be on at a time. the generator feeds power into the PB through the backfed breaker. they are not really in parallel which would be a code violation.

off hand I can't think of a reason it would be unsafe or could not be made code compliant. but, I did not think about it all that much.

GerryB

The interlock kit is a sliding type bracket that mounts on the panel cover. The back feed breaker is installed on two slots below the main breaker, the side being determined by the brand of panel. In the normal position the main is on, the back feed breaker is off. The back feed breaker is wired to a power inlet box where the generator will be plugged in. The back feed breaker can not be turned on without turning off the main and sliding the bracket up, which is what you would do when you need to use the generator which now feeds the panel through the back fed breaker with no danger of going out to the street. I have done quite a few, some of which an inspector has seen, and there has been no problem. In this case there are two panels so I want to put an interlock on each panel and a wire from each back feed breaker to a j-box, then from the j-box to the power inlet box. When they run the generator they can now energize both panels. (it is actually set up like that now except they have no interlock or transfer switch and he wants it to be code compliant)

ceb58

The interlock kit is a sliding type bracket that mounts on the panel cover. The back feed breaker is installed on two slots below the main breaker, the side being determined by the brand of panel. In the normal position the main is on, the back feed breaker is off. The back feed breaker is wired to a power inlet box where the generator will be plugged in. The back feed breaker can not be turned on without turning off the main and sliding the bracket up, which is what you would do when you need to use the generator which now feeds the panel through the back fed breaker with no danger of going out to the street. I have done quite a few, some of which an inspector has seen, and there has been no problem. In this case there are two panels so I want to put an interlock on each panel and a wire from each back feed breaker to a j-box, then from the j-box to the power inlet box. When they run the generator they can now energize both panels. (it is actually set up like that now except they have no interlock or transfer switch and he wants it to be code compliant)

Sounds good. You will be correcting a violation and possibly saving the HO from injuring, or worse , a lineman in an outage.

kwired

Electron manager
Each panel in your case needs proper transfer equipment - which such kits as you describe are an option.

Unless each "main" in your case has both sets of line side conductors connected together and both sets of load side conductors connected together you have nothing in parallel. You possibly could have just the line side connected in parallel, but if load side is also connected in parallel you likely have other code issues if there is more then a single operating handle for these devices if they are in parallel.

Strathead

Occupation
in lieu of a transfer switch there are kits made to add a backfed breaker to a panelboard that has a mechanical interlock with the main breaker so only one can be on at a time. the generator feeds power into the PB through the backfed breaker. they are not really in parallel which would be a code violation.

off hand I can't think of a reason it would be unsafe or could not be made code compliant. but, I did not think about it all that much.

I know about those. Generally called a Kirk key. I don't see an application where you have two 200 A panels fed from 400 A. So I assume he must have been using that term for a different meaning.

kwired

Electron manager

Strathead

Occupation

Bob! I am fully aware of most of the options available for most interlocking applications, as well as many situations that warrant them. That doesn't even start to answer my question! The OP has a 400 amp service. He has two 200 amp panels. He wants to install and interlock on EACH ONE, and parallel the to breakers. First thing, I am not aware of an interlock like you drew that will interlock the breakers in two separate panels, however the Kirk key will which is why I went there first. Second If I have a 400A service and I run a 3/0 to a 200A panel with a main breaker before or where it enters the building. And then I do the same with another. What am I using interlocks for? I see no mention of generators. I see no mention of loads larger than the service feeder. I see absolutely no use for interlocks. As such, I question if the OP was either not giving us all the information, or using terminology incorrect, or I, in my stupidity am missing the elephant in the room!

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
Bob! I am fully aware of most of the options available for most interlocking applications, as well as many situations that warrant them. That doesn't even start to answer my question! The OP has a 400 amp service. He has two 200 amp panels. He wants to install and interloc wask on EACH ONE, and parallel the to breakers. see no mention of loads larger than the service feeder. I see absolutely no use for interlocks....
The OP wants to feed two panels with one generator. The "transfer switches" is manual. The generator and the wires don't have to match the service.

Strathead

Occupation
The OP wants to feed two panels with one generator. The "transfer switches" is manual. The generator and the wires don't have to match the service.

Dave and Bob. I see the error of my ways now. I didn't get notified of Gerry's answer to my question and so I was never up to speed on his clarification. Now I have egg on my face and I am fully versed in the conversation. :ashamed1:

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........

I actually have done this.
2-200 amp Sq D HOM panels each with its own interlock.
Really had to think about it and convince myself that it would work.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I see no problem with the plan.
I am curious as to the size of the generator.

GerryB

I actually have done this.
2-200 amp Sq D HOM panels each with its own interlock.
Really had to think about it and convince myself that it would work.
I had to think it through also. The only danger with these interlocks is if someone leaves the cover off the panel, thinks all the breakers should be on and turns on the generator breaker. Now you have live prongs at the power inlet box. Now in our case with two panels let's see, leave one cover off, turn on generator breaker, phases lined up, no one knows, phases crossed:thumbsdown: They do give a warning sticker that goes on the generator breaker telling you not to turn the breaker on if the panel cover is off.

kwired

Electron manager
There is no limit to how many transfer switches may be supplied by a generator.

In fact when you get into hospitals there are instances where more then one transfer switch on a single generator may even be required.

GerryB

There is no limit to how many transfer switches may be supplied by a generator.

In fact when you get into hospitals there are instances where more then one transfer switch on a single generator may even be required.
That's interesting. I'm going to ask the city inspector when I see him. He used to do a lot of hospital work before becoming the EI. To answer Augie's question it is a 9 or10kw portable generator.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
That's interesting. I'm going to ask the city inspector when I see him. He used to do a lot of hospital work before becoming the EI. To answer Augie's question it is a 9 or10kw portable generator.

At least its not smaller :) In any event, it will be an interesting show to see the homeowner
selecting which breakers to turn off before the generator stalls...:)

Status
Not open for further replies.