Wiring Order in a Pin & Sleeve Plug/Receptacle?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jon456

I need to wire an Appleton pin & sleeve plug & receptacle for a mobile generator feeding a transfer switch (240V/120V 3-phase delta). The plug/receptacle is AP20044ERS/AR20044RS (200A 4-wire/4-pole); both are Style 1 (grounding on the shell only). The four pins/sleeves are for L1, L2, L3, & N (there is a lug inside the aluminum shell for bonding the ground). None of the pins/sleeves are labeled for phases/neutral inside the plug or the receptacle.

The only open standard I can find for wiring industrial connectors is IEC 60309, but that doesn't apply to the older North American pin & sleeve connectors like this Appleton. The Appleton catalog does not discuss the details of wiring any of their connectors. I do see references to UL 1682 & UL 1686 specifications, but I can't find any open source of the specification. I can't believe I would have to purchase these standards at over $500 each just to learn the correct way to wire these connectors. On the other hand, I can't believe that the wiring of the phases/neutral is completely arbitrary and left to the discretion of the installer at every site. That would mean each site installation would be unique and not interchangeable.

What am I missing here?

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
I need to wire an Appleton pin & sleeve plug & receptacle for a mobile generator feeding a transfer switch (240V/120V 3-phase delta). The plug/receptacle is AP20044ERS/AR20044RS (200A 4-wire/4-pole); both are Style 1 (grounding on the shell only). The four pins/sleeves are for L1, L2, L3, & N (there is a lug inside the aluminum shell for bonding the ground). None of the pins/sleeves are labeled for phases/neutral inside the plug or the receptacle.

The only open standard I can find for wiring industrial connectors is IEC 60309, but that doesn't apply to the older North American pin & sleeve connectors like this Appleton. The Appleton catalog does not discuss the details of wiring any of their connectors. I do see references to UL 1682 & UL 1686 specifications, but I can't find any open source of the specification. I can't believe I would have to purchase these standards at over $500 each just to learn the correct way to wire these connectors. On the other hand, I can't believe that the wiring of the phases/neutral is completely arbitrary and left to the discretion of the installer at every site. That would mean each site installation would be unique and not interchangeable.

What am I missing here?

We wire a lot of them.
We use the keyway as a guide.
Or some are labeled 1,2,3 and blank.
so it is wired 1-a, 2-b, 3-c and blank, neutral or ground
just make sure to ring them out when you finish to make sure its the same all the way from start to finish.

Jon456

http://www.lappusa.com/catalog/PinSleeve-CircuitWiring.htm

I believe this is from (one, other, both?)
CEI EN 60309-1
IEC 309
Your link appears to reference the IEC 60309 standard. Note the ground pin (PE) which is used to index the connectors. The Appleton pin & sleeve connector I have does not even have a ground pin; the ground wire is lugged to the connector shell. There are only four pins for L1, L2, L3, and N.

ceb58

What am I missing here?

Your not missing any thing. That's the problem.
Qcroanoke (Mike), below, works for the company that makes all of our communication buildings. They install them with a double throw switch as a back up to the ATS and on site generator. Sorry, Mike but with all the buildings we have were all the plugs wire the same? So far I haven't bought the male plug for our portables because I may not be the one to pull it to a site and verify the wiring. Wouldn't be bad if were 1 or 2 sites but 200+ becomes a pain.

We wire a lot of them.
We use the keyway as a guide.
Or some are labeled 1,2,3 and blank.
so it is wired 1-a, 2-b, 3-c and blank, neutral or ground
just make sure to ring them out when you finish to make sure its the same all the way from start to finish.

Jon456

This appears to be the case. I was able to reach a person in Appleton's technical division for these connectors and he stated that there is no standard for wiring these connectors. :eek:hmy:

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Your link appears to reference the IEC 60309 standard. Note the ground pin (PE) which is used to index the connectors. The Appleton pin & sleeve connector I have does not even have a ground pin; the ground wire is lugged to the connector shell. There are only four pins for L1, L2, L3, and N.
I realize that. I looked, probably same as you, and didn't found any "US-based" wiring standard.

I've wired what you have going by the polarization slot or rib (note male and female can be reversed). Looking at the receiving end of the female sleeve side, first sleeve clockwise of the rib is L1. Proceeding clockwise are L2, L3, and N respectively.

Note to those that have never wired these before, the male-side pins are recessed in the molded plastic sleeve receiver, making it seem like the male side is the female side... but it's not.

Last edited:

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
Qcroanoke (Mike), below, works for the company that makes all of our communication buildings. They install them with a double throw switch as a back up to the ATS and on site generator. Sorry, Mike but with all the buildings we have were all the plugs wired the same? So far I haven't bought the male plug for our portables because I may not be the one to pull it to a site and verify the wiring. Wouldn't be bad if were 1 or 2 sites but 200+ becomes a pain.
That's because I'm not the one that checks them anymore........

Status
Not open for further replies.