Duties of Master of Record

Status
Not open for further replies.

nietzj

Occupation
Electrician
I was just asked to be the Master of Record of a large institution that employs over 100 electricians. Anyone happen to know what is expected in this role and what is reasonable compensation?

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I was just asked to be the Master of Record of a large institution that employs over 100 electricians. Anyone happen to know what is expected in this role and what is reasonable compensation?

what the heck is a master of record? is that an actual legal term or something someone made up to make something sound better?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Locally some of the jurisdictions allow a "master" to act as the "contractor" (license holder) for a facility (industry/commercial) that has it's own electricians on their payroll. That "master" would pull the required permits, log all work and meet with inspectors as needed.
With 100 electricians that would be one massive job.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
Locally some of the jurisdictions allow a "master" to act as the "contractor" (license holder) for a facility (industry/commercial) that has it's own electricians on their payroll. That "master" would pull the required permits, log all work and meet with inspectors as needed.
With 100 electricians that would be one massive job.

You're right, that would be a full-time position in and off itself. I wouldn't take it if it was strictly going to be for show. You might be putting your license at risk.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
You're right, that would be a full-time position in and off itself. I wouldn't take it if it was strictly going to be for show. You might be putting your license at risk.

:thumbsup:

plus a potential liability issue

cowboyjwc

Staff member
On certain jobs we'll have what they call an "inspector of record". He would simply be on site at all times to answer questions and make sure that all of the required paper work is in order, but you would still have your building, electrical and plumbing/mechanical inspectors doing all of the required inspections.

Canton

Occupation
Electrician

In my experience it is what Augie said. A lot of companies will do work in multiple trades. They must have a "Master of Record" or more commonly known as a "Master Holder" for that licensed trade. You are the one that pulls permits and is ultimately responsible for the electrical work that the company does.

sparkyrick

At least they asked you. I was working on a Walmart project and while in the GC's trailer, I saw MY "SIGNATURE" on the electrical permit. Yes, my employer pull the permit under my name and forged my sig without my consent. Not cool :rant:

nietzj

Occupation
Electrician

Thanks guys, I understand that in this position I will be putting my name on all electrical permits taken out by Electricians working at this institution. Before I accept I will be sure to find out what my liability is and if the employer is planning to have insurance for me. The more I think about it this sounds like a lot of risk with limited reward. There has been no discussion as to what if any compensation I will get.

growler

I was working on a Walmart project and while in the GC's trailer, I saw MY "SIGNATURE" on the electrical permit. Yes, my employer pull the permit under my name and forged my sig without my consent. Not cool :rant:

and you did what about this?

Not cool? I would think that could be very serious, forgery and all.

Here the permit would not be legal to start with because you would need to file the correct paperwork (forms) with the state that allows a company to work under your license.

mwm1752

Here, The master of record is the responsible party for the electrical contracting business. The master shall be engaged in the business and cannot master more than one company. All paper work is filed with the State Electrical Board. Usually the compensation is wage & bonus but that is between company owner & the master. Always ask what is expected from owner as a defined contract will also have parameters of iability. Worst scenario you could lose your license & shirt off your back (maybe jail time)if you do not pay attention.

Status
Not open for further replies.