code location question

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is my first post so if it is in the wrong location...sorry.

I am currently work on a Private Home Inspections list for a Real Estate Agent selling a home.

On the list is a statement that the grounds and neutrals are under the same terminal on the neutral bar and is a safety hazard. However the panel is a 200amp Main Breaker and is where the grounds and neutrals are supposed to be tied together. I have for most of my career done this very same thing by installing the ground and neutral wire of the same circuit under the same terminal in Main Breaker Panels and have never had a problem with any inspections. I am just having trouble locating this in the code book. I do not want to have to do something that is not needed or charge for a service that is not required. Thanks for your help.

iwire

Staff member
408.41 Grounded Conductor Terminations. Each grounded
conductor shall terminate within the panelboard in an individual
terminal that is not also used for another conductor.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
As Bob has pointed out the neutrals require a separate hole in the bus for each conductor. This has been part of the panel listing for decades although for years it was largely unenforced.

John120/240

Both Iwire & infinity are correct. I will add that to save space on the ground bus it is acceptable to double up ground wires of the same gauge under one screw. Two 14ga or two 12 ga under one screw.

bphgravity

Both Iwire & infinity are correct. I will add that to save space on the ground bus it is acceptable to double up ground wires of the same gauge under one screw. Two 14ga or two 12 ga under one screw.

Only if the terminal is identified for more than one conductor. [110.14(A) / UL486]

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
This has been a UL requirement for many years but was only recently brought into the NEC, as few had or read the UL white book. And the neutral and ground bars are typically the same, so if two wires are OK for EGC, then two should be OK for neutrals.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
For years I installed the neutral and equipment grounding conductor under the same lug. I thought it was easier to locate the entire circuit more easily at a later date. No longer do we do that and most of the main panels we buy have enough lugs with the double bars

Status
Not open for further replies.