Safety

Status
Not open for further replies.

wireddd

In talking to a contractor friend of mine he said that recently during a electrical inspection the inspector requested that the contractor bring in a extension ladder so he could climb up 16 feet to inspect a 1900 box piped with conduit and #12 wires inside. The inspector said he would not do the inspection if the contractor did not provide the ladder.
My response to that as a contractor myself was that I would not allow him on our ladders unless the village provided a letter that would negate our being responsible in the event that he fell. I believe that our insurance company would deny any claims as he is not a employee of ours.
I certainly would not want to be responsible for the cost of his injuries for the rest of my life.
Has anybody had similar experience in this regards?
Or what is the best way to handle this kind of situation

mgookin

I don't know what code you use but most codes require the permit holder to provide access for inspections. That is often interpreted by the AHJ as meaning you not only provide access in the form of making sure the building is open but when scaffolding, lifts, etc. are necessary for inspection, that's on you too.

kwired

Electron manager
I don't know what code you use but most codes require the permit holder to provide access for inspections. That is often interpreted by the AHJ as meaning you not only provide access in the form of making sure the building is open but when scaffolding, lifts, etc. are necessary for inspection, that's on you too.
NEC is the code here, nowhere in NEC covers inspection requirements, you need to look into local regulations that go with the AHJ.

That said inspectors still need to comply with safety rules, product protection rules, etc. of the facility they are at. If they want to use a lift - many places nobody uses the lift without proper training including visitors. He may get by with little or no training if he is just a passenger on a lift and someone qualified operates it, but he still may need to wear specific PPE if required of everyone else. Product safety and protection - if you have food products, pharmaceuticals, etc. in a plant that inspector needs to wear hair nets, proper clothing, maybe even shower before entering just like everyone else, he doesn't want to be the one that brought in some bacteria that effected an entire run of product, or brought in some disease that wiped out an entire herd of livestock.

electricalist

When that high up we have a lift, and on many occasions I would take the inspector where he wanted to go and open whatever he wanted. Once drove the lift outside and raised him up to the roof to check some work.
I'm sure that broke plenty of rules, jumping over the rail on to the roof and back. Luckily it was viewed as taking care of business.

Status
Not open for further replies.