Above Ground Pool Wiring (Fix)

Status
Not open for further replies.

NjWireMan

I got called by a customer to come out and fix their pool Wiring for the Filter and add a Timer. Here is what I found.
1. Uf cable sticking out of the ground and the end is in a Blue Receptacle Box. (they removed a shed that housed the the filter and outlet)
2. No equipotential bonding to be found.

So I am not really sure how to go about this. Here is what I know. 680.21A1 says uf cable is no good because the ground is not insulated. However 680.21A4 says a uninsulated ground is okay in a Cable Assembly. Is Uf cable considered a Cable Assembly? We are still using the 2011 Code.

How would you guys handle this scenario?

MasterTheNEC

CEO and President of Electrical Code Academy, Inc.
Occupation
CEO
I got called by a customer to come out and fix their pool Wiring for the Filter and add a Timer. Here is what I found.
1. Uf cable sticking out of the ground and the end is in a Blue Receptacle Box. (they removed a shed that housed the the filter and outlet)
2. No equipotential bonding to be found.

So I am not really sure how to go about this. Here is what I know. 680.21A1 says uf cable is no good because the ground is not insulated. However 680.21A4 says a uninsulated ground is okay in a Cable Assembly. Is Uf cable considered a Cable Assembly? We are still using the 2011 Code.

How would you guys handle this scenario?

Well.....how about installing an accessory building and having the wiring located inside of that accessory building which would meet Section 680.21(A)(4)..but not how you have stated it since you lack the accessory building and the wiring located within it to meet Section 680.21(A)(4). And the short answer on the "Is It" question, Yes, Type UF is considered a cable assembly.

As far as the EPBG....thats a choice you and your local AHJ will have to make. Before I got too deep into the job I would make a call to the local AHJ and see what exactly they consider the job...a repair or construction that would require being bought up to current code...while that may appear obvious...trust me I would check with the local AHJ first before I tackled that one. Either way the EPBG is very important but again thats a choice we can't make....if it was not required at the time of original construction then chances are it is not now but again that depends on how your AHJ see's it.

Just my thoughts on it....communication may save you on this one......call the AHJ

MasterTheNEC

Occupation
CEO
Your first paragraph threw me off. Is UF cable okay for wiring pool motors?
The reference was regarding Section 680.21(A)(4) which indeed Section 680.21 is dealing with motors.

The very nature of Type UF-B would meet the specifications of a "Cable Assembly" and the EGC inside of that product is indeed uninsulated yet is also enclosed within the outer sheath as well...However it can only apply "IF" the wiring is within the interior of a dwelling unit or an associated building....this why I said might be easier to just build a small building.......let the AHJ determine what is considered a building during your conversation with them. These are just some options to think about as it may be cheaper to put up a small shed than to rewire everything....just some thoughts to think about.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Is this an inground ground pool by definition or is it this because storable pools do not follow part 2

Storable Swimming, Wading, or Immersion Pools; or
Storable/Portable Spas and Hot Tubs. Those that are
constructed on or above the ground and are capable of
holding water to a maximum depth of 1.0 m (42 in.), or a
pool, spa, or hot tub with nonmetallic, molded polymeric
walls or inflatable fabric walls regardless of dimension.

NjWireMan

It's a inground pool. I am waiting on the AHJ return phone call to see what he says. I believe a permit is a must on this job to cover myself. Ask the AHJ what he wants. Go back to the home owner with the good or bad news.

MasterTheNEC

Occupation
CEO
You do know why Dennis asked you that question right?....because your title says "Above Ground" and it begged the question so as to give you a possible "OUT" at least to some of the problems you may face if it was a Part III Storable Pool. I gathered that it was not BUT was a GREAT question to ask by Dennis.....

Status
Not open for further replies.