480v transformer kva size

Status
Not open for further replies.

rcrabbe13

Hi all,

Im trying to figure out what size transformer I will need for a 480v(primary) to 240 secondary with 2 200amp breaker panels. I found a couple forums with misleading information. I did my math and found I would need at least a 150kva but stumbled across a thread that stated a 100 kva will work for 400amp? Just need some clarification.

Thanks!

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
There are some variables to consider, but the basics would be 400 amp X 240 or 96 kva.
In many cases a 75 kva would work as you are allowed 125% on the secondary current but a lot depends on the nature of your load (motors, continuous, etc) and the actual load.

topgone

I suggest you draw your circuit and start from there. That's how it is with me. It ain't hard, compared to looking at the ceiling seeing numbers flashing.

rlundsrud

I would like to see a load Calc so that we know what your actual load is, but here are a few numbers that might help.

The secondary output (240v) for the following 3 phase transformers would be:

150 kVa= 150,000/(240?1.732)=360 amps
112.5 kVa= 100,000/(240?1.732)=270 amps
75 kVa= 75,000/(240?1.732)=180 amps

I hope that helps, if you want your primary amperage, simply substitute 480 for 240 in the above formulas. There is a very nice article that Mike Holt wrote some time ago that covers all aspects of transformer calculations, the link is below.

http://www.mikeholt.com/mojonewsarchive/NEC-HTML/HTML/TransformerInstallation~20020516.htm

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Taking into account the OP's profile, adequate information has been provided to answer his question.
I am closing this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.