Kitchen Peninsula

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I kind of wondered that myself. Lighting or lighting switches is possible, otherwise all receptacles here should be required to be on SABC's.

I am certain stickboy knows that 12/2 is for small appliance branch circuit. The 14/2 must be for switches or receptacles on the back side of the counter that faces a living room or something

stickboy1375

The very first box with the #14 conductors is a 3 way for pendent lights above the peninsula, that switch WAS suppose to go in the end panel, but the home owner decided she didnt want it anymore but I already had the load at that location, so it ended up in the backsplash....

The (3) other boxes are counter receptacles, (2) 12-2 NM's in each box... and if anyway else is wondering WHY i had to drill out the tops of the cabinets for my wiring, is because the job is a total train wreck, a 2x4 wall was shown on the print so I had all my wires sticking out of the outside wall at rough in, came back to back to back cabinets, so had to get creative since they decided to sheetrock the basement as well... :happyno:

This is how they decided to leave my wires.... jerks.

IMG_4705.jpg

IMG_4706.jpg

kwired

Electron manager
The very first box with the #14 conductors is a 3 way for pendent lights above the peninsula, that switch WAS suppose to go in the end panel, but the home owner decided she didnt want it anymore but I already had the load at that location, so it ended up in the backsplash....

The (3) other boxes are counter receptacles, (2) 12-2 NM's in each box... and if anyway else is wondering WHY i had to drill out the tops of the cabinets for my wiring, is because the job is a total train wreck, a 2x4 wall was shown on the print so I had all my wires sticking out of the outside wall at rough in, came back to back to back cabinets, so had to get creative since they decided to sheetrock the basement as well... :happyno:

This is how they decided to leave my wires.... jerks.

View attachment 12575

View attachment 12576
If you don't leave your cable attached to something exactly where you want them to emerge through the drywall.....you never know where they will emerge when you come back - and even if you do place them fairly exactly where you want them and attached to something that doesn't move easily - they still end up elsewhere sometimes, or they get left within the wall:roll:

stickboy1375

If you don't leave your cable attached to something exactly where you want them to emerge through the drywall.....you never know where they will emerge when you come back - and even if you do place them fairly exactly where you want them and attached to something that doesn't move easily - they still end up elsewhere sometimes, or they get left within the wall:roll:

I left the wires anticipating a wall to be built, just like on the print.... weird to what I came back to with no phone call about the change.... :lol:

stickboy1375

Guess I misunderstood your OP. :slaphead:

In all honesty, I was curious if this scenario was black and white regarding receptacles, I do all high end work, so it's never an issue, but every once in awhile you get that one customer that doesn't want ANY receptacles... :?

I find it absolutely amazing that it's a fight with EVERY single island I do when it comes down to installing a receptacle, first response is always, "Do I really have to have a receptacle?" I don't get it, its the most used space in a kitchen....

kwired

Electron manager
I left the wires anticipating a wall to be built, just like on the print.... weird to what I came back to with no phone call about the change.... :lol:
I find it rather expected instead of weird myself, you never know what the drywallers will do with a cable you want extended through the wall for later use. I often try to stop by if I can after they hang the rock but before they are done taping - sometimes you have a chance to correct those things, plus you can maybe catch any cutouts that were not cut out before the wall is finished.

In all honesty, I was curious if this scenario was black and white regarding receptacles, I do all high end work, so it's never an issue, but every once in awhile you get that one customer that doesn't want ANY receptacles... :?

I find it absolutely amazing that it's a fight with EVERY single island I do when it comes down to installing a receptacle, first response is always, "Do I really have to have a receptacle?" I don't get it, its the most used space in a kitchen....
That is always the decorator side of the owner talking not the practical user side. If you don't put the outlet(s) in (and made it through inspection) they will complain later when they find it inconvenient that there is nothing there to plug appliances into:slaphead:

kwired

Electron manager
Stone backsplash, And wire mold would never fly aesthetically... I just cut in old work boxes... no biggie....

Three choices, boxes as you used, have them put a chase to mound plugmold in, or cord pendents from the ceiling, I guess a power pole could be a fourth option.

I never said the owner would be happy with any of the choices.

edlee

I find it rather expected instead of weird myself, you never know what the drywallers will do with a cable you want extended through the wall for later use. I often try to stop by if I can after they hang the rock but before they are done taping - sometimes you have a chance to correct those things, plus you can maybe catch any cutouts that were not cut out before the wall is finished.

That is always the decorator side of the owner talking not the practical user side. If you don't put the outlet(s) in (and made it through inspection) they will complain later when they find it inconvenient that there is nothing there to plug appliances into:slaphead:

I remember once suggesting to a homeowner that he add a 2nd outlet at the other end of a new large kitchen island. He didn't want to spend the money. Later after the finish he asked where was the 2nd outlet , saying he "remembered talking to me about it"!

Status
Not open for further replies.