Looking for a good portable generator

Status
Not open for further replies.

BetsyPerry

New User
Hi,
We recently bought a house which has a knob and tube wiring. There has been a lot of power failures and our electrician suggested, getting a portable generator, until we change the whole wiring system. (We are a little low on our budget now). The professionals who deal with portable generators here in Muskoka, gave us a good quote on the Generac. Is it a good idea to get two less expensive generators instead of one? Or should we get a Honda (6 to 7 kw)? What is the best option available? I do not want the generator to fail as well, so all suggestions are welcome. Thanks in advance.

Sahib

Two instead of one generators is really more economical in the long run due to saving in fuel.

LIM

Hondas or Yamahas are both good units.

I have never been a Generac fan, I find the design and build quality to be poor at best.

Agree completely. I have always used Honda, but met a concrete guy the other day with three Yamahas that are used everyday and he was more than pleased with their performance.

iceworm

Curmudgeon still using printed IEEE Color Books
Occupation
EE (Field - as little design as possible)
Hi,
We recently bought a house which has a knob and tube wiring. There has been a lot of power failures and our electrician suggested, getting a portable generator, until we change the whole wiring system. ...

I know you didn't ask this, but the information may help with an answer to your question. In particular I'm trying to understand the mission. Cause the mission makes all the difference in the generator selection.

There are power failures due to the knob and tube?
How will a generator help with power failures caused by knob and tube?
If the failure is internal house wiring, how will an external house gen fix the internal problem?
Maybe, in the event of an internal house wiring failure, you are planning on connecting critical appliances cord and plug?​

How will changing the wiring system alleviate the power failures?

As for two generators opposed to one: Is this for redundancy to assure continuity of power? In the event of a power failure, followed by a generator failure, you really want to be able to start up a gecond gen to keep critical appliances powered untin the gen mechanic shows up?

Or is the expectation that the power is out often enough, for long enough, that one could wear out a gen driver (engine)? If this is the case, then none of the suggestions were any good - you want a little 1800 rpm diesel and a tank.

There is no one gen that is the solution to all missions.

So tell us a bit more about the mission and your expectations for a gen.

the worm

PS: I don't like generjunk either - they appear to be consumer grade minimums

Status
Not open for further replies.