70E contradictions

Status
Not open for further replies.

lielec11

We finally received a copy of the 2015 edition of NFPA 70E Hanbook. And surprise, surprise... it's still confusing!

130.5(C) states, "One of the following methods shall be used for the selection of PPE... The results of an incident energy analysis to specify an arc flash PPE Category in Table 130.7(C)(16) shall not be permitted"

However, Annex H seems to directly contradict this statement.

H.1 states, "Arc flash PPE categories may be applicable when using the incident energy method to perform an arc flash risk assessment. When performing an incident energy analysis, the arc flash labels created may include an arc flash PPE category."

Additionally, 130.5(D) states, "Available incident energy and the corresponding working distance, or the arch flash PPE category in Table 130.7(C)(15)(A)(b) or 130.7(C)(15)(B) for the equipment, but not both." when referring to the labels.

So one section tells me I cannot use an incident energy analysis to determine a PPE level, and another tells me it's ok. What am I misunderstanding here?

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
First step:
There are two methods for determining the ATPV level for the PPE that will be used, you must choose one of theses methods.
The methods are: Calculation of incident energy (the result is cal/cm^2) or the 'Task' Tables contained in 70E (result is a Category)

After this has been done then:
There are three methods for putting information on the lable, but you must choose one of them.
Use 70E tables for the Category of PPE. (this is most similar to what most people been doing doing even if it was incorrect)
or
List the calculated Incident Energy that the PPE must meet (often this ends up being a two level selection described in Annex H)
or
Use a 'custom' method which is specific to the site/company and explained in their Electrical Safe Work Practices program (could allow a 'Group 0' or a 1.2cal/cm^2 PPE selection)

lielec11

First step:
There are two methods for determining the ATPV level for the PPE that will be used, you must choose one of theses methods.
The methods are: Calculation of incident energy (the result is cal/cm^2) or the 'Task' Tables contained in 70E (result is a Category)

After this has been done then:
There are three methods for putting information on the lable, but you must choose one of them.
Use 70E tables for the Category of PPE. (this is most similar to what most people been doing doing even if it was incorrect)
or
List the calculated Incident Energy that the PPE must meet (often this ends up being a two level selection described in Annex H)
or
Use a 'custom' method which is specific to the site/company and explained in their Electrical Safe Work Practices program (could allow a 'Group 0' or a 1.2cal/cm^2 PPE selection)

Let's assume I'm using the incident energy analysis method in step 1. It still doesn't explain why 130.5(D) says you cannot but both the incident energy and the PPE level on the label but H.1 says you may.

Am I reading the statement in 130.5(D) incorrectly? I'm reading it as follows: (incident energy & working distance) OR (PPE level).... should I be reading it as (incident energy) & (working distance OR PPE level) ???

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
I'm reading it as follows: (incident energy & working distance) OR (PPE level)

This is almost correct. But it is actually (incident energy & working distance) OR (PPE level & working distance).

The way I see it is:
PPE chosen from Table 130.7(C)(16) will likely protect from severe injury while performing only a specific task listed in table 130.7(C)(15)(A)(b).

PPE chosen based on calculated cal/cm^2 (e.g. Annex H) will likely protect from severe injury while performing any task.

Status
Not open for further replies.