Labor unit for replacing a pole light

Status
Not open for further replies.

arnettda

Looking for a labor unit to replace a single fixture on 33 parking lot poles. Work will be done from a lift. Old fixture will be put somewhere on site as there maintenance guys will strip and scrap them. But how long to unpack new fixture get it ready, remove old head and replace with new one. Plus time spent going up and down and driving lift around. I am thinking 1 to 1.5 hours each.

cusaba

wouldn't do any less than 3hrs/ea
get a copy of NECA or MEANS. Understand what those labor rates include and what not.... that's a start point.....
who owns the lift?

iwire

Staff member
I am renting lift, was adding that in separately.

I have been doing LED retrofits and two us could do about 12 in a day so your 1.5 hour idea is close.

That said a lot will have to do with how they mount, in our case we needed to drill two new holes into the pole for each head.

If the conditions allow use a large all terrain scissor lift with leveling jacks. With those you can load up a ton of fixtures and tools with plenty of room for one guy to hold the fixture while the other unbolts it.

If we had to use a boom lift I would double the time.

cusaba

I have been doing LED retrofits and two us could do about 12 in a day so your 1.5 hour idea is close.

That said a lot will have to do with how they mount, in our case we needed to drill two new holes into the pole for each head.

If the conditions allow use a large all terrain scissor lift with leveling jacks. With those you can load up a ton of fixtures and tools with plenty of room for one guy to hold the fixture while the other unbolts it.

If we had to use a boom lift I would double the time.

what about all the other stuff? prepping, ordering and receiving materials, miscellaneous errands, permitting, inspections, etc? The way I see it, this job will demand a minimum of 80 billable hours. But I could be wrong.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
what about all the other stuff? prepping, ordering and receiving materials, miscellaneous errands, permitting, inspections, etc? The way I see it, this job will demand a minimum of 80 billable hours. But I could be wrong.
I'm not an estimator, but it seems to me that would depend on whether you include indirect time into the man-hour rate or not.

iwire

Staff member

When I did estimating the permitting would not be included in the labor unit time. Basically a permit will take the same time for one light as two hundred lights etc. permit costs vary widely in my area so that also needs to be handled separately.

As far as the receiving prepping and disposal.

The customer provided the fixtures and had them shipped to the shop, the receiver might have spent 10 minutes pulling a single pallet off a truck with a forklift and drop it in the warehouse.

On the day of the job I meet the apprentice 7AM at the shop, hooked up a small cargo trailer, loaded the fixtures, on the road before 7:30, on the job site by 8:30. One of us prepping while the other works on the new holes. All trash goes into the trailer, 1/2 hour lunch and on the road back to the shop by 3:30 PM. Next day apprentice empties trash from trailer into dumpster, disconnect trailer while I am in office doing other work.

So actually I already included most of the time for receiving prep etc.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Many time when you replace the fixture head atop a pole you will have to drill new holes and insert a back plate. If the top of the pole is not removable you may have additional time to deal with that. then there is securing the wires so the don't fall through wile working.

growler

Looking for a labor unit to replace a single fixture on 33 parking lot poles. Work will be done from a lift. .

Is this parking lot open to the public? If it is you may want to consider a ground man just to keep people from walking under where you are working or rope the area off. Maybe you can close off part of the lot each day.

Status
Not open for further replies.