Unintentional contact with higher-voltage lines

Status
Not open for further replies.
can anyone give me a good example of unintentional contact with higher-voltage lines and how it would apply to NEC 250.4(A)(1)

robbietan

In my tropical country, most of the causes are kite strings and trees, most often bamboo "trees" exceeding the height of the 34.5 kV lines easy

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
A high voltage overhead line breaks and drops down onto the low voltage conductors.

That happened near here about 4 years ago. A 315kv line dropped on a (I think) 64k line. The resulting fire raged for days and I could see the smoke from the fire 10 miles away. They had to actually build a road a couple miles or more long through a river flat to get fire trucks to the fire. People were trapped on the river in cabins. It was nasty.

Sahib

That happened near here about 4 years ago. A 315kv line dropped on a (I think) 64k line. The resulting fire raged for days and I could see the smoke from the fire 10 miles away. They had to actually build a road a couple miles or more long through a river flat to get fire trucks to the fire. People were trapped on the river in cabins. It was nasty.
Oil fire?

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
Sahib,

I found some pics on line.

http://photos.mlive.com/photogallery/2010/04/muskegon_river_flats_fire_apri_3.html

Here is one of them.

8463557-standard.jpg

This happened about 3 miles from the power plant, so the available short circuit current must have been tremendous.

Status
Not open for further replies.