Protruding mudring

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
If the leviton plate does not work ,looks like you will need to move the box. use a shallower ring, ..........

sparkyrick

Cut out the drywall to the 4" X 4" box size and change to a 2 gang ring. A double duplex plate will still cover if you don't go crazy while cutting the sheetrock.

Another option is sawzall most of the protruding ring away, except for the device mounting screw area. There, you can bend in whats left of the ring and re-tap 6/32" holes for the recept and snip off any excess metal. It works, but it's a pain. The mud ring swap out I mentioned above is the easiest, if you don't mind having a quad recept box, instead of a duplex.

wyreman

Occupation
electrical contractor
Cut out the drywall to the 4" X 4" box size and change to a 2 gang ring. A double duplex plate will still cover if you don't go crazy while cutting the sheetrock.

. The mud ring swap out I mentioned above is the easiest, if you don't mind having a quad recept box, instead of a duplex.

Dawg I never thought of the two gang jumbo that's a winner thank you?

In belief, man can do anything

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Depending how it is fastened I have been able to band the box back further into the wall. Hammer and screwdriver

sparkyrick

Dawg I never thought of the two gang jumbo that's a winner thank you?

In belief, man can do anything

Actually, a jumbo plate won't be needed. If you cut to the 4" X 4" box size, a standard 4.5" X 4.5" plate will still cover. Just cut enough to get the old ring off and no larger.

grillmaster

Angle grinder. As long as there is still enough volume in the box after removing the protrusion, just cut the protruding part of the ring off with an angle grinder.

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........

luckylerado

Now that we have that fixed what cha gonna do about the ground wire sticking through the receptacle strap? If that's what it is.
I don't think that's an acceptable termination..... :)

Is that not the little welded wire that keeps the screw attached to the yoke in the package.

This replaces the old cardboard or plastic washer / screw keepers.

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
Is that not the little welded wire that keeps the screw attached to the yoke in the package.

This replaces the old cardboard or plastic washer / screw keepers and makes the yoke "self-grounding" via the threads on the machine screw.

That could be what I see.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician

That could be what I see.
It's a self grounding receptacle. That little wire means you don't have to use a EGC on the device.

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent

Other answers meaning that captivating the screw is a bonus, but not the intent of that wire. The intent is to comply with the code for self grounding.

Status
Not open for further replies.