Wire Nut temp. rise with "dryer" circuit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
... I don't think I saw a twist in the wires. You're correct I think; the spring in the nut is the only connection.
The instructions for one brand say: "pretwisting not required, tighten until there are two full twists below the wire nut" (something like that, not exact wording)

Since there were no twists below the nut I'm again becoming concerned; espically since he also did the 50A oven circuit the same day after he broke the tip of his index finger (no twist strength ).
Thanks a lot for the stress:) I may be getting too old for this stuff. Nothing like people asking you to do them a favour, with no power, and observe the installation action.

PetrosA

Warming up the close thread button ..... :D

The instructions for one brand say: "pretwisting not required, tighten until there are two full twists below the wire nut" (something like that, not exact wording)

Ok, ok ;) I'm not at all going for a closed thread. I'm a believer in twisted splices regardless of whether you pretwist or not and by following wire nut manufacturers' instructions, you generally end up with twisted conductors. The reason I mentioned it here is because twisted conductors obviously have increased surface contact (linearly and through deformation) than untwisted conductors and greater surface contact lowers resistance. Simple and non-argumentative :)

templdl

Ok, ok ;) I'm not at all going for a closed thread. I'm a believer in twisted splices regardless of whether you pretwist or not and by following wire nut manufacturers' instructions, you generally end up with twisted conductors. The reason I mentioned it here is because twisted conductors obviously have increased surface contact (linearly and through deformation) than untwisted conductors and greater surface contact lowers resistance. Simple and non-argumentative :)
It kind of reminds me the rule of soldering wire to terminals where you place the wire through a hole. I was taught to secure the wire mechanically first and then solder.
Therefore I'm on your side with pretwisting the wire to make a good mechanical connection and then securing them together with the wirenut. It is hard to miss a wire that way. I think the no need to twist thing is a sales point which objective is to lead one to berlieve that they can be installed quicker.

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
I practice both at different times. What bothers me is other electricians who arrogantly believe that I am not performing a quality installation if I don't pre-twist my wires. (not saying anyone here, to this point is doing that). To me it is all about attention to proper detail and personal integrity. On my jobs, I don't allow guys to use a drill to install wiring devices. But then again, I will make exceptions when someone proves they care about the final product. Twisting wire nuts adds one more level Or more accurately removes one more chance of a good installation, but is not necessary for a person who takes care to install them properly.

templdl

I practice both at different times. What bothers me is other electricians who arrogantly believe that I am not performing a quality installation if I don't pre-twist my wires. (not saying anyone here, to this point is doing that). To me it is all about attention to proper detail and personal integrity. On my jobs, I don't allow guys to use a drill to install wiring devices. But then again, I will make exceptions when someone proves they care about the final product. Twisting wire nuts adds one more level Or more accurately removes one more chance of a good installation, but is not necessary for a person who takes care to install them properly.
You make a good point. I found in not twisting it is very easy to be careless when trying to secure more than 2 wires to assure that all of the wires are flush at the ends and held there as the wirenut is secured. There are times when one of the wires slips down through your finers and missed where you try to catch it by pulling on the wires.
When wires are pretwisted it is visible.
Have we beaten this wirenut thing to death yet?

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
You make a good point. I found in not twisting it is very easy to be careless when trying to secure more than 2 wires to assure that all of the wires are flush at the ends and held there as the wirenut is secured. There are times when one of the wires slips down through your finers and missed where you try to catch it by pulling on the wires.
When wires are pretwisted it is visible.
Have we beaten this wirenut thing to death yet?
Yes, even if not in this thread yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.