RV trailer

Status
Not open for further replies.

enireh

does ac power feed in and then an inverter changes to dc power throughout the rv? I have a 1955 and we are wanting to go solar but it seems that's going to be a lot of problem

kwired

Electron manager
does ac power feed in and then an inverter changes to dc power throughout the rv? I have a 1955 and we are wanting to go solar but it seems that's going to be a lot of problem

I am not all that familiar with what is typical inside RV's, but inverters change from DC to AC, a rectifier changes from AC to DC. An inverter should be exactly what you need to convert the DC output of your solar equipment to AC, otherwise if everything already runs on DC then your solar just charges the battery, but you may need conversion equipment if output is not same voltage as the battery.

Do you really have a 1955 RV or is that a typing error?

If you do have a 1955 was there power conversion equipment originally installed or was it added?

donaldelectrician

Last edited:

enireh

rv

rv

I am not all that familiar with what is typical inside RV's, but inverters change from DC to AC, a rectifier changes from AC to DC. An inverter should be exactly what you need to convert the DC output of your solar equipment to AC, otherwise if everything already runs on DC then your solar just charges the battery, but you may need conversion equipment if output is not same voltage as the battery.

Do you really have a 1955 RV or is that a typing error?

If you do have a 1955 was there power conversion equipment originally installed or was it added?

its was made in the area of 1955-60 the people we bought it from told us. It has a Square D panel with four 15 amp breakers when testing the outlets I read 120 volts so its ac power in the trailer

enireh

rv trailer

rv trailer

its was made in the area of 1955-60 the people we bought it from told us. It has a Square D panel with four 15 amp breakers when testing the outlets I read 120 volts so its ac power in the trailer

I'm new at this forum stuff so have patience

donaldelectrician

I'm new at this forum stuff so have patience

Look for a Battery and a Inverter ... Might also have an outside outlet for plugging in power at RV Parks . So you want to run Solar to power Battery .

I take it , you have trailor lights , brake lights , they will hook up to tow vehicle . How big is this trailer ?

You can also put a small Quiet Generator to power appliances , water heater ect .

Don

Last edited:

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
The most common equipment in "classic" RVs is a "power converter" which combines an inverter, a charger, and often a transfer switch for shore power all in one unit.
Adding solar PV by adding panels and a charge controller to also charge the existing batteries (usually just a 12 V bank) is not hard in principle.
You may want to add, if possible, a switch to disable the battery charging from shore power when you have both PV and shore power available.
In some cases it will be easier and more efficient to replace the old converter with newer charge controller and inverter plus an AC input charger and go to a higher voltage battery bank.
When using a 12V bank, it is important to remember that the vehicle alternator can be an important charging source.

iwire

Staff member
I agree with GD.

I am not in a classic trailer but a basic 1999 camper.

The battery (if I had one) can be charged by the tow vehicle or shore power.

The battery or tow vehicle could operate the gas furnace, the exhaust fan, the refrigerator (a small 3 way fridge) and interior lighting.

There is no inverter in mine so the battery could not power line volt loads.

There is a rectifier so the shore power can pick up the 12 VDC loads described above without a battery.

I don't camp without shore power so I don't bother with a battery.

donaldelectrician

I was reading on that Power Converter , He has 12V lighting and a fuse panel somewhere . Probably a fan too . I wonder if anyone changed it , he said he has
4 Breakers in there now ... They were talking of a 6 or 7 wire for trailer road lighting .

Don

Status
Not open for further replies.