Distribution Transformer Efficiency Changes in 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I assume that this means that the impedance will go down and make it even more likely that when the utility changes a transformer that the service equipment will become "over dutied" as far as the short circuit current rating.

ron

I assume that this means that the impedance will go down and make it even more likely that when the utility changes a transformer that the service equipment will become "over dutied" as far as the short circuit current rating.

Oddly enough, that was my intuition as well, but it depends on the design of the transformer. That is covered in the video for the Schneider product only.

Bugman1400

The video was oddly more interesting than I thought it would be. The efficiency hasn't much to do with impedance. It has more to do with the copper losses which is the R% value of the total impedance Z%=R%+jX%. So, I wouldn't expect the impedance to drop much but, I would expect the costs to increase significantly. And, that will be passed on to the customer.....so, higher electricity prices for everybody......hurray:thumbsdown:.

kwired

Electron manager
The video was oddly more interesting than I thought it would be. The efficiency hasn't much to do with impedance. It has more to do with the copper losses which is the R% value of the total impedance Z%=R%+jX%. So, I wouldn't expect the impedance to drop much but, I would expect the costs to increase significantly. And, that will be passed on to the customer.....so, higher electricity prices for everybody......hurray:thumbsdown:.
Doesn't any required change mean price will automatically go up regardless of what manufacturing costs do?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Doesn't any required change mean price will automatically go up regardless of what manufacturing costs do?
The actual costs to manufacture are going up and they will be passed on....I think they said 20 to 60% depending on exactly what transformer you are buying. They can ship the current ones though the end of this year, but Schneider said they will start shipping the new ones in the 4th quarter of this year.

kwired

Electron manager
The actual costs to manufacture are going up and they will be passed on....I think they said 20 to 60% depending on exactly what transformer you are buying. They can ship the current ones though the end of this year, but Schneider said they will start shipping the new ones in the 4th quarter of this year.
I understand these items likely will have more material cost, and maybe even the manufacturing process could take more to be done. My comment was just general sarcasm aimed at the fact when something new is required - the new items seem to be expensive - reasons may not always be clear either.

Status
Not open for further replies.