Length of whips

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grouch1980

Hi All,
Is there anything in the NEC (or in my case, NYC amendments) that dictates the maximum length of whips? For example, if a recessed floor box that is used in a raised floor is available with an MC cable whip, what is the max length allowable for that whip? (the whip would be connected to a branch circuit from the panel). Another example, if i have a poke-thru that is used to hardwire to an electrified furniture cluster of workstations, what is the max allowable length of the whip coming out of the poke-thru? (the whip would be connected to the wires of the electrified furniture).

I hear that there is a max length that you cannot exceed, and i also hear that the whips can be any length.

Thanks!

luckylerado

Hi All,
Is there anything in the NEC (or in my case, NYC amendments) that dictates the maximum length of whips? For example, if a recessed floor box that is used in a raised floor is available with an MC cable whip, what is the max length allowable for that whip? (the whip would be connected to a branch circuit from the panel). Another example, if i have a poke-thru that is used to hardwire to an electrified furniture cluster of workstations, what is the max allowable length of the whip coming out of the poke-thru? (the whip would be connected to the wires of the electrified furniture).

I hear that there is a max length that you cannot exceed, and i also hear that the whips can be any length.

Thanks!

NEC does not recognize "Whip"

it would be 6' for a light fixture "whip" ran without an EGC in FMC but I think what you are describing would not be subject to such a limitation unless you are in an area that requires the raceway to be as an equipment grounding conductor.

MC as I understand it in this application can be of any length

I am ignorant of NYC electrical requirements beyond that of the NEC

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I'm like lucky, I don't know about NYC's code but, as far as the NEC is concerned, MC can be as long as the length of the roll you buy. Read article 330 for the specifics.

Roger

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I would agree with lucky. 410.117 addresses " whips" for fixtures.
The install you describe would require full size branch circuit conductors in an applicable Chapt 3 wiring method. Length and support would be determined by the appropriate Chapter such as Art 330 for MC which would not limit the length..

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Hi All,

Thanks!

Are you asking about whips under the floor where the box is not fastened in place?

If you're using LFMC the NYC electrical code limits your exposed length to 18".

victor.cherkashi

Question to Grouch: why you call this portion of installation "whip" I think it is not wipe it just raceway or other name

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

cowboyjwc

Staff member
I have always believed, since it's not defined in the NEC, that it's only a whip if it comes attached to the fixture or appliance, other wise it's conduit and subject to what ever section it falls under.

kwired

Electron manager
I have always believed, since it's not defined in the NEC, that it's only a whip if it comes attached to the fixture or appliance, other wise it's conduit and subject to what ever section it falls under.
I believe the same thing. Whip is not a NEC term, more of a slang term used in the field, and can be describing slightly different things in different cases.

Most "whips" are either flexible conduit or flexible cord or cable. What makes them pass code is whether or not they need to be properly secured/supported or if there are special provisions at specific locations that allow for differences in the general securing/support rules.

6 feet at luminaires has to do with unsupported raceway or cable. Just happens to be coincidence that flexible metal conduit can only be used for a maximum of 6 feet as an equipment grounding method. You can run 20 feet of FMC to a luminaire if you wish, it will need an EGC pulled inside as the raceway itself doesn't qualify as an EGC at that length. You will need to support it within 12 inches of the supply end and every three feet - but still can have up to six feet unsupported at the final drop to the luminaire. You may never see that but it would be code compliant.

Status
Not open for further replies.