Two sized heaters on one controller

Status
Not open for further replies.

dnyman

HI,
1. I want to interchange two diffrerent heaters on the same heater controller. One is 1.5 Amp the other is 10 Amp. Article 210.20 calculated the OPCP at 10 X 1.25 = 12.5 amp next up is 15Amps. 210.20 says not less than. So would this be OK for the smaller heater over current protection ? The wiring and everything else would be sized for the larger heater.
2. This heater is used on a vessel (tank) to heat a product. I think this is covered by article 427. This says the heater must be protected by ground fault protection called GFEPCIs. I've never heard of this. Where can I find them?
Thanks.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
1. OCP is basically for protecting wiring, not the connected equipment. What you propose is compliant.

2. GFPE is essentially the same operating principle as GFCI, but permits a higher disparity of conductor current. IIRC from 6 to 50ma. For more info, google "GFPE" and perhaps revise the search term (spell it out, add vessel heating, etc.) to get different hits.

kwired

Electron manager
GFPE breakers will be much higher priced then standard GFCI breakers. You may find a GFPE device sold by the heating cable (or whatever you have) manufacturer is less cost, or may be integrated with some controllers.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Based on 422.11 I do not agree with that premise.
I agree with your disagreement, and even expand it to any scenario where a maximum OCPD rating is stipulated... :huh::blink:

I should have elaborated.

Now that we got that out of the way, does it affect the compliant conclusion?

iwire

Staff member
I agree with your disagreement, and even expand it to any scenario where a maximum OCPD rating is stipulated... :huh::blink:

I should have elaborated.

Now that we got that out of the way, does it affect the compliant conclusion?

I don't know if it affects this installation or not, that was not my point.

You just happened to hit one of my pet peeves that I see posted on the forums time and time again.:)

Many people seem to feel that the branch circuit OCPD is only there to protect the conductors and not the equipment connected to them.

I disagree with that assessment.

Now it seems you do too, even if it is not what you started out saying.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
I don't know if it affects this installation or not, that was not my point.

You just happened to hit one of my pet peeves that I see posted on the forums time and time again.:)

Many people seem to feel that the branch circuit OCPD is only there to protect the conductors and not the equipment connected to them.

I disagree with that assessment.

Now it seems you do too, even if it is not what you started out saying.
Well I don't care whether that was your point or not. Get back on topic! :happyyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.