flourescent light bar - how to cove single gang opening?

Status
Not open for further replies.

yzman720

I posted this in the general section since it's an aesthetics issue and not exactly an electrical one.
I'm looking for ideas of what to do.
I purchased some t5 lights that are only about 2" wide. When I go to put them over the single gang box where the wire comes out of the lights aren't wide enough to cover it completely. This leaves a gap next to the lights on the ceiling and is ugly. Any suggestions? The only think I can think of is to put a white blank cover over the box and drill a hole through the cover to feed the wires through. This will cover the gaps on the sides but as you know the blank covers have a flange all the way around them and arent exactly flush. Since the light will mount directly on it I don't think this is ideal either.
Suggestions?

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
You might want to look at 410.24(B). Are these fixtures to be mounted solely by the single gang box? If not, there needs to be a suitable opening on the back of the fixture to access the box. Usually on bigger fixtures you'll see a larger knockout around the center knockout that's 21/2" round or so.

If that were the case you couldn't mount these lights this way, anyway.

You might need to whip out of the single gang back through the box entry holes and pop out of the finished wall surface directly into the fixture with the whip. Then just a blank plate over the single gang.

iwire

Staff member
I would have stubbed a cable right out into the rear of the fixture no box at all.

However at this point I might just use a 4" round, flat, white blank with a hole punched through it for the wiring. (Yeah, I know its a single gang box not a round one. It would not stop me. )

Status
Not open for further replies.