Grounding the Foundation

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm doing a house from foundation to finish and I would like to incorporate a Ufer ground. I understand the basic concept but there are a couple questions I've asked to a few inspectors and got differing answers. One inspector told me I had to do the footings as well as the foundation, although not the inspector in the town the work is being performed in. Another inspector said i could use the rebar in the foundation to attach the ground wire to, but recommended i use something else, i.e. laying 2 ground rods across the rebar horizontally to get the 20ft. Anyone more familiar with this process that could give me pointers? Thanks

Smart $

Esteemed Member
FWIW, the depicted "nonmetallic protective sleeve" is not specifically required for general compliance. It or some other protective means is required where subject to physical damage... and that assessment will vary from AHJ to AHJ.

Another tidbit regarding OP... Code text is quite specific what can be used as the electrode... and two [10'] ground rods laid across the rebar do not qualify.

shortcircuit2

If there are isolated sections of foundation / footing with rebar as a qualified Concrete-Encased Electrode per 250.52(A)(3), installed at one building, are we required to include all sections into the Grounding Electrode System of the Building?

(New Construction)

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
If there are isolated sections of foundation / footing with rebar as a qualified Concrete-Encased Electrode per 250.52(A)(3), installed at one building, are we required to include all sections into the Grounding Electrode System of the Building?

(New Construction)
End of that section say, "No". Not in so few words, but one per building is enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.