Transformer and pedestrians traffic

Status
Not open for further replies.

jado85

Are there any rules in the NEC about how close to pedestrians traffic it can be located?

what would be an acceptable barrier if needed?

Last edited:

jumper

Assuming you are talking about pad mounted transformers within an enclosure-no live parts exposed- and people, not vehicles, I do not know about any needed distances or barriers that are required.

jado85

ha I suppose I can use one as an out door desk! jk

Another question, I think it relvant.

I have dangerous rated panel close to pedestrians, I'm thinking about building a wall only( or do I need a room with roof) to make it a restricted area. would 3hr fire resistance stub walls do the job? based on what I read in the NEC I'll need min 3ft working space.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
ha I suppose I can use one as an out door desk! jk

Another question, I think it relvant.

I have dangerous rated panel close to pedestrians, I'm thinking about building a wall only( or do I need a room with roof) to make it a restricted area. would 3hr fire resistance stub walls do the job? based on what I read in the NEC I'll need min 3ft working space.
Depending on the voltage you may need more than three feet, but you can build it out of anything you want.

jado85

Wanna elaborate/clarify?

Yes you need working space, but I am in doubt that a barrier or room is needed. Possibly a sign stating clearances so it does not get blocked.

its 480V, indoor panel where a number of employees walk by it, I'd like to provide some kind of protection incase of Arc flash or fire so that no one is in direct danger.
So metal, wood, or an arc flash blanket are feasible options?

Last edited:

jumper

its 480V, indoor panel where a number of employees walk by it, I'd like to provide some kind of protection incase of Arc flash, fire so that no one is in direct danger.
So metal, wood, or an arc flash blanket are feasible options?

You can build a block wall if you want to :D, but I know of no NEC section requiring it.

Seriously, while your intentions are good IMO, it may be considered overkill. That panel is not going to flame up for no reason.

jado85

You can build a block wall if you want to :D, but I know of no NEC section requiring it.

Seriously, while your intentions are good IMO, it may be considered overkill. That panel is not going to flame up for no reason.

oh, I see your point,

jado, is this panel like a 200A 480Y/277V panel used for lighting and such in a room or hallway?

its a 480y/277V 800A located by a hallway entrance, fed directly from 1500 KVA XF

jado85

I agree with Jumper. The chance of an arc incident are slim unless somebody has the doors open on the panel and is doing something.

The idea is to protect from fires as well as possible arc flash, I'v seen a similar panel burst into flame after a SC on the line side of main CB, was not pretty!
looking through 70E, section 210 talks about Area enclosure but no specifics on materials or clearances.

The safety guys suggested Arc flash blankets placed immediately on the panel door(no clearance) I don't see anything in the code against that if it is removed to do any work on the panel.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
Heck, I sit on the little one feeding my house and 2 neighbors. It is located at the corner of my front lawn.

I went out for a pass one time, caught it, outran the kids, looked back to see how far ahead of them I was , and got drilled by the one sitting in our yard.

:)

JAP>

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
I went out for a pass one time, caught it, outran the kids, looked back to see how far ahead of them I was , and got drilled by the one sitting in our yard.

:)

JAP>
In a related story...

I know someone who tried to run up and vault over a parking meter, with predictable results.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
Precisely.

In another related story...

I was playing in a touch football game when a guy running out for a pass ran full tilt into a five foot diameter pecan tree.

Ouch again.

He was wearing an evening gown at the time. It was Mardi Gras.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.