jeff buckner

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am rewiring an older home and now realize that all the exterior walls are concrete block covered with aluminum siding outside and 1 inch plaster board inside. The inspector told me to run all wire in compliance with NEC 2014 standards. Since some circuits and switch legs will need to pass through the hollow cells of the blocks, 4 or 5 feet into the attic, should these circuits be protected from the rough edges of the concrete block in conduit.

jumper

While code allows NM/Romex, I assume since it is residential that is what you are using, to be fished in the hollow spaces of block protecting it or using MC/conduit is not a bad idea IMHO. I cannot say it is required.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
Welcome to the Forum ! !

The inspector told me to run all wire in compliance with NEC 2014 standards. Since some circuits and switch legs will need to pass through the hollow cells of the blocks, 4 or 5 feet into the attic, should these circuits be protected from the rough edges of the concrete block in conduit.

2014 NEC 334.10(A)(2) is the passage you want to apply, and understand.

Time to break out the Book of the Holy Writ. . . turn to the passages of Article 334, Nonmetallic-Sheathed Cable; II. Installation; Uses Permitted, and Uses Not Permitted. Note that 334.12(B)(2), (3) & (4) provide some limits on 334.10(A)(2). . . especially because you are figuring out what this means. I'd also suggest referring to the first 23 sections of Article 300 as great material to keep rereading as you do slightly different bits of the new wiring.

Status
Not open for further replies.